Disposals compatible with septic systems?

We believe the seller of the house we have had a disposal but there is none in the sink now. Are there negatives or pitfalls combining the two? Our son and DIL have the combination and haven't reported problems but I guess a "second opinion" could benefit us. Thoughts welcomed.

Reply to
nospambob

queried:

A garbage disposal on a septic system is not recommended - IMHO. The thing that kills septic systems & leach fields is solids, why would you want to add more to the system? I'd also stay away from bleach, any strong chemicals, fats, grease, hair, etc. Pump and inspect the tank (and baffles) at least every other year.

That's just my 2 cents though.....

Reply to
jackson

Disposals are compatible with septic systems. Just be sure to have the tank pumped out at the proper intervals for the size of tank and number of persons using the system.

See the chart on this page to get a ballpark estimate for pump-out frequency:

yellowbirddog

P.S. On that page:

Table 1 lists how often you need to pump out your tank on average, given the size of the tank and the number of persons living in the household. These figures were calculated assuming there was no garbage disposal unit hooked up to the system. The use of a kitchen garbage disposal will increase the amount of solids in the holding tank by as much as 50 percent.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

The last time I had my tank pumped, the service tech said the #1 solid problem was sanitary napkins. Food from a disposal will dissolve over time, but those things float forever. Bob

Reply to
Bob

I've had a septic system for years (recently got annexed so now on city sewer), and used a garbage disposal without problems. Of course, with only two people living in a house built for five, the septic system had plenty over overcapacity.

I'd just be careful what you dispose. Food scraps are probably OK. The main thing is to make sure you don't kill the bacteria that break down the solids. A garbage disposal is probably less harmful than a bottle of bleach. Just keep it within reasonable proportions.

HTH.

snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote:

Reply to
baspluim

I've had a septic system for years (recently got annexed so now on city sewer), and used a garbage disposal without problems. Of course, with only two people living in a house built for five, the septic system had plenty over overcapacity.

I'd just be careful what you dispose. Food scraps are probably OK. The main thing is to make sure you don't kill the bacteria that break down the solids. A garbage disposal is probably less harmful than a bottle of bleach. Just keep it within reasonable proportions.

HTH.

snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote:

Reply to
baspluim

blathered on about

I rest my case.......

Reply to
jackson

Oh pshaw, on Mon 03 Jul 2006 10:09:40a, meant to say...

It *can* be a problem, but the problem can be minimized. First off, InSinkErator makes a model specifically for use with septic systems that injects a solution to help break down the food while grinding.

Second, it's best to stick with grinding soft food waste only; e.g., vegetables, fruits, cooked meats, etc. Avoid bones and highly fibrous materials like corn husks, pineapple leaves and peels.

Avoid other materials like paper products. It's amazing how many people put paper towels down their disposers.

We have never lived in a house with a septic system, but will soon be moving to one. We plan on installing one of the InSinkErator models mentioned above.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I would suggest composting instead. Our county was selling compost bins for $15 or $20 a couple of years ago. Meat scraps or anything fatty should go in the garbage. But any vegetable matter, yard waste, egg shells, teabags, coffee grounds, etc. can be composted.

I don't think we ever had to pump the septic system at my parent's cottage, but it was just used seasonally for human waste, dishwater, and shower water.

Reply to
David Efflandt

I've heard they are not a good combination, but that was 'old information', since now you can get a Garbage Disposal with an 'enzyme pack'.

So, imho I don't know. :) Guess a little check with this InSinkErator manufacture's information for more help.

hth,

tom @

Tom The Great