disposal rusted mounting flange and leak

We had a replacement Kitchen Master garbage disposal installed under warranty a couple of years ago by the appliance company that sold it to us originally. The mounting flange is all rusted and there's water leaking from that area. Can leaks like this happen over time even if the installation was done properly? Or would it be reasonable for me to call the company who installed it to complain about their workmanship? Thanks Timo

Reply to
Timo

I'm not familiar with that brand, but if the mounting flange is rusted, you have a crap disposal. A good stainless steel flange setup will not rust in many years. But a better brand (Kitchen Aid, ISE, etc, and be done with it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I agree w/ Ed.

I installed ISE disposals in my house & my parents' home YEARS ago.

The flanges currently in use are from 2 or 3 disposals back!

I stick with ISE so I can just "twist lock" them off & install the new unit; done in way less than an hour, start to finish

I just toss the new flanges rather mess with them.

What material is your flange? Pretty hard rust out a decent SS flange.

Reply to
BobK207

Reply to
Timo

Reply to
Timo

Reply to
Timo

Are you talking about the visible flange in the sink opening? Does the flange have the KA logo embossed on it? Mine does. It has been in place for about 18 years and it is perfect condition. I'm not sure just what you have as the KA has nothing that would rust out. If the installer did something else, you have a gripe against him.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Is the sink a cast iron unit? Is rust from the sink transferring to the disposal flange?

In my experience I cannot think of a situation where the part I'm thinking about can rust out.

It's the large diameter flanged ring that reaches through the sink and screws together with the remainder of the adapter that the disposal mounts on (ISE type)

Maybe you caould take some pictures of the parts in question.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

The KA flange in the drain, visible when looking down at the sink, is still in very good condition. It's the mounting flange under the sink that is all rusty. Upon closer inspection, when looking up at the sink from below, it seems the sink itself, all around the circumference of the drain, may be corroded. We'll have to remove the disposal to see for sure. Timo

Reply to
Timo

Sounds like a cast iron sink that has lost the coating. Paint may help.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That top flange is supposed to be set in plumber putty. Maybe some one didn't use putty to seal the flange to the sink. If the sink is really rusted, you may need to buy another sink. Otherwise just get a new nut and gasket.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon