Disposal of Replaced Windows

Hello all,

I'm replacing 11 - 16 wood, single pane windows with Home Depot replacement windows. I'm guessing that the original windows are 50-60 years old. Any ideas on disposal? Who might be interested in taking these off my hands? I'm more interested in convenient disposal than anything else, and live just south of the Boston metro area. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
EHG

replacement

from remodel jobs, house demolition, and the like, and sell to those who are restoring houses. Windows, doors, fancy molding, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, lights,etc.... Gotta believe in the Boston metro area you'd have something like that. Here in Minneapolis, there are several. Dave

Reply to
DaveG

Craft stores and hobbyists love 'em - they repaint the sashes and either make faux stained glass designs, or use them as picture frames.

Also gardeners love making hot boxes with disposed-of windows.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Keep in mind that at that age they probably have lead-based paint. Not a major issue, but might bother some buyers.

Otherwise, flea markets, pennysaver newspapers, etc.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Just out of curiosity, are you getting double hung, vinyl?

I ordered one recently and it is supposed to come in tomorrow (10-31), so then I'll have to make a decision about the best way to remove the old one.

Reply to
Lewis Campbell

Yes, they're Home Depot's 8500 series replacement windows. They're basically mid-quality windows which were rated reasonably well by Consumer Reports a few years ago. I had to order special sizes for the majority of windows, although HD had the available for delivery within two weeks as promised. Installation seems to be reasonably straightforward, although because I'm doing quite a few, I'm getting help from a contractor with whom I've worked before.

Reply to
EHG

If there is a used door and window dealer in your area, see if they will take them off your hands. Some cities have businesses like this that resell used windows. If they are beyond re-use, bust them apart and toss them in the garbage. I'd try to avoid smashing the glass to pieces if you tear them apart. I am assuming they are wooden frames if they are that old, but of they are aluminum, the alum is worth money at a scrap yard.

Reply to
Whackkmeeoff

Advertise. Sell the whole set for $50. Somebody will be building a hot house.

Reply to
Phisherman

OK, thats the one I'm getting,too.

It didn't come in today as it was supposed to but its too hot for me to want to work on it anyway.

Maybe by Mon. we'll have a cool front come through.

Good luck with yours.

Lewis.

Reply to
Lewis Campbell

Thanks, Lewis. I've five of 'em up, and they look terrific. The gliding action of the window in frame is just fine, and double panes gives the added bonus of external noise reduction.

Now, the test will be this upcoming New England winter. Last one was pretty brutal, and I'm hearing that this one will be the same.

Reply to
EHG