disposal & dishwasher questions

two different apts..

one we are told to remove the dishwasher. It drains through the disposal. Is there a rubber cap that goes over the disposal where the knock out plug was? If so what is it called.

Another apt we have a disposal draining into the dishwasher when the sink is full. We realize that we have to tie the dishwasher drain up higher to eliminate siphoning. Does anyone know if there is something made that would reduce the water siphoning back into the dishwasher?

TIA.

Reply to
oreo123

On 11/29/2004 10:15 AM US(ET), oreo123 took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Yes. A DW hose should be attached so a point in the dishwasher drain hose between the sink drain (or disposal) and the DW is as high up as possible (to the bottom of the countertop if possible). When you fill the sink, if the water level in the sink is higher than the highest point of the DW hose, water will siphon into the DW. Therefore, it is best to have the DW drain hose higher than the highest water level of the sink. Since the DW hose cannot be installed under the sink higher than the underside of the countertop, you will still get siphoning when you fill the sink to a level that is higher than the underside of the counter, but that is rarely encountered, unless the water is left running with the sink drain closed, but that will be more of a problem than just the overflow siphoning into the DW. The other way to prevent siphoning, but requires more work and expense, is to install an air gap in the DW drain hose. This in installed in the drain hose by means of a "Y" fitting and sticks up through a hole in the sink or countertop. This adds nothing to the beauty of the sink, but is a great conversational piece for guests: "What the hell is that?" If you already have an air gap installed, it may need cleaning or replacement.

Reply to
willshak

Hi,

Haven't seen anything to buy but each manufacture ( none mentioned ) may have something to block the hole....I usually just push a piece of hose over the spout and cap/plug the other end with something ( often an old cartridge fuse will fit into the hose end and clamp off with screw clamp ).

High loop up to the underneath of the counter will help, this will as well.

Gap Kit prevents back-siphoning of contaminated water from your food waste disposer, drain or sink into the dishwasher.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff