Dismantle Hoover w/machine drum?

I'm trying to give a Hoover clothes washer (top loading) a clean out, and need to remove the drum. But, I can't see how to remove the agitator, which I presume needs to come out first. I've stripped it down as far as I can at present, and can see a (fragile-looking) plastic epicyclic gearbox and a brake mechanism at the bottom end. There's an Allen bolt associated with the brake, but loosening it didn't seem to help. I daren't whack the plastic parts! I gather this is a common method of transmission, so there must be a fairly standard way to dismantle? Hoover Model A6830 ("500"), made in Australia. Any advice gladly received!

Reply to
Jordan