Dishwsher rack rust - touchup plastic

Hi All,

My Kenmore dishwasher as developed a case of the rusts on the slide out rack. The plastic cover on the wire rack is worn out in places, showing metal, which of course rusts.

Sears sells a touchup vinyl (or some other plastic) paint for that purpose, but am not sure if this is the only option. Theirs is somewhat expensive - $37 including shipping.

Is there another solution to this? Is there plastic paint I can use for this purpose that is sold in stores?

New racks are just too expensive - $150 for both, top and bottom.

Regards,

Rich

Reply to
RichK

Two Suggestions (which you may have already tried)

1 - Check out local and/or online appliance repair sites. You may find that you can get the racks for a lot cheaper than $150. Many stores/ sites will have OEM replacements which will probably be cheaper than getting the parts through Sears. Try a local shop first since you might save a bit on shipping vs. a online store.

2 - Check out local and/or online appliance repair sites for the repair kits, some which come with paint for the racks and tips for the tines. Many stores/sites will have generic repair kits which will probably be cheaper than getting the kit through Sears.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The upper rack is a bit tricky. Not many local applience stores left. The brand is Kanmore, so I gave Sears a try, but I suspect parts from other brands will fit.

Have found some on-line since that post, all approach $30 shipped. Thought that there may be some paint/product that is not even sold by appliance stores.

Suggestion to use tool handle material was good, but not sure where to find it and if it came in white.

Rich

Reply to
RichK

Its called Plastidip. It comes in white:

your local big box store, tool section.

Reply to
Grandpa

Your Kenmore might be a Whirlpool. There may also be OEM replacements that are cheaper than the brand name parts. Google the model number and/or part number and see what you find.

Another suggestion would be to try and order the racks through a local repair person. Explain your situation and perhaps his "dealer discount" would offset the cost of any profit he might make. Offer to pick it up at a location of his choosing so he doesn't have to deliver it.

I'm not sure what the shipping will be, but the kit here costs $8.99

I'd be concerned about the heat and moisture associated with a dishwasher. Rarely is a pair of pliers subjected to conditions similiar to that inside a dishwasher.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"RichK" wrote on 13 Jun 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

I had the same problem when I sold my last house -- the buyer complained about the worn-out spots in the dishwasher. (Luckily, my wife never complained about the rusty spots on the back of the plates.)

I bought the touchup vinyl and dipped each rusty tine into the bottle about an inch, then let the rack dry upside down. I then used the brush in the lid to touch up other random failures. I think I remember doing two coats in a few spots.

Total investment: about $20 for the paint, and 30 minutes applying it. The real secret was in dipping the tines and letting them dry upside down.

The buyer thought I purchased new racks. I still have most of the bottle. You can have it if you want.

Reply to
Steve