Dishwashing tablets

Page 2 of 2

On 12 Dec 2006 08:10:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Well, mine are the same size. In a way the "main" one (You've convinced me, plus I looked at the package again, which shows a picture of one with a rotating cover for the main one), in a way the main one is smaller, because I can fill the one with no cover to overflowing, but I have to remove soap sometimes in order to close the Main one.
It looks like I've been doing things wrong. I was confused becuase the Electrosol are two colors, and I figured they wouldn't degrade performance from the original, so some soap came off in the first wash and some in the second. But if it doesn't work that way, and I'll check too eventually, I'm going to put two tablets in.
Once when I first got here, I don't think I had any stuff, so I used powdered laundry detergent, in both cups. I also left the house. Just like an I Love Lucy episode, the kitchen was covered with bubbles when I got home. In some places 8 inches of bubbles.

I didn't really believe there were enzymes in this or laundry soap, until I heard stories of workers getting sick, or risking getting sick. :)
If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

On my 8 -- 10 year old GE dishwasher "Main detergent cup for all wash cycles" is embossed in the plastic door liner with an arrow pointing at the detergent recess with a cover.
SJF

Whichever it is, my main cup is incognito. Maybe it is in the Kenmore tradition, where they don't tell you who made their product.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Oh pshaw, on Mon 11 Dec 2006 05:01:44p, mm meant to say...

All dishwasher detergents that come in tablets or gel-pacs are recommended to be placed in the "main" detergent cup, which is the one that is covered. The open cup is for a "pre-wash" cycle, which is a relatively short cycle at the beginning of the wash.
For years I used powedered deterent, either Electrasol or Cascade. However, when we moved to another location where the water chemistry was much different, I began getting some bad deposits on everything I washed.
I switched to the Electrasol tablets and have found it to give a creditable wash, but sometimes found that there was a bit of an oily residue left on the dishes. In other words, not "squeaky clean". I attribute that to the lack of detergent in the pre-wash cycle, which would dissolve most of the greasy stuff on the dishes and drain it away before the main wash kicked in.
Someone recommended trying a bottled gel made by Palmolive to use in both the pre-wash and main cups. Since it contains baking soda, I found that it left a whitish residue (from the baking soda, no doubt), and that wasn't acceptable.
The next time I bought detergent they were temporarily out of the solid tables of Electrasol so I bought the Electrasol gel-pacs instead. They worked just as well as the solid tablets, but still didn't leave things speaky clean.
Since I had most of a bottle of the Palmolive still left, I tried filling the open cup about 1/4-1/2 full of the Palmolive and using a gel-pac in the main wash. Now I get absolutely spotless and squeaky clean dishes. I will continue this method.
--
Wayne Boatwright
On 15 Dec 2006 06:44:44 +0200, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:>Oh pshaw, on Mon 11 Dec 2006 05:01:44p, mm meant to say...

I may just be confusing my dishwasher with my clothes washer, but I thought in my 27-year-old machine, the first cycle was as long as the second. I'll have to do another load, or at least look at the knob. Soon.

DAng. I have long depended on my dishes for squeaking.
I attribute that to the

Wow.
Although I could go straight to this method and probably get the results you did, that is not my style. I will have to examine all facets of the process, and then maybe do what you are doing. I'm not being funny. I only fill the washer about once a week, so the required study will take a long time. I'll try to get back to you all.
If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

No wonder you keep breaking the dishes. <BG>

LOL
If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
I have a number of very tall ( 20') windows that I need to wash (outside). What is the most efficient way of doing this?

They sell a product that screws to the end of a garden hose. I bought it but haven't trie dit yet. Anyone know?
If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Oh pshaw, on Sat 16 Dec 2006 01:56:20a, mm meant to say...

I had one of those when we had a 2-story home. It had a very long pole/pipe, and it actually work quite well, although the length could be a little unwieldly.
Of all forms of caution, caution in love is the most fatal.
On 17 Dec 2006 06:59:58 +0200, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:>Oh pshaw, on Sat 16 Dec 2006 01:56:20a, mm meant to say...

Not what I have. My pipe from the garden hose to the end is only 7 inches. It uses water pressure to get the stream up to the windows.
If it doesn't work, I'll consider looking for yours. Although it is possible to wash my windows from inside, by leaning out with a sponge/squeegee or something, it seemed easier to do it this way, or maybe your way.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)