Dishwashers Haunted

I have a problem that has appeared on two dishwashers. They both stopped working. One dishwasher is in my house, the other in a rental condo. My dishwasher had been installed two years ago along with new wiring and was working fine. The rental dishwasher is older, and working for at least five years.

The problem is as follows, they both have the same electrical issues. When I place a multi-meter on the black and white power wires, I do not get voltage or continuity. When I touch the white wire to ground, I get continuity/ short. I have switched the breakers on and off on both washers, and they are not tripping.

My dishwasher, which was wired two years ago, is not a dedicated circuit. It is the last device on the circuit, with two GFI outlets between the washer and the breaker. Each GFI outlet tests fine for electricity. The rental dishwasher seems to be isolated on its own ciruit, based on the breaker panel.

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't have mice in my house or the rental. Can a breaker go bad? Can a GFI go bad and still work?

thanx

Reply to
Vitomacdoc

if you mean at dishwasher #1's electrical outlet, black ac is hot 110v when measured to ground or white common. do you measure 110vac at this outlet?

does the dishwasher #2 have 110 vac at the outlet? if not perhaps the gfi is not passing it along properly.

a breaker can go bad, you would check that inside the electrical panel. a gfi can fail, or the connections that send the line in and the load out can break. new gfi's will behave a bit differently: please read the sections on gfi wiring at:

then use your meter to test for ac with a helper.

Reply to
buffalobill

Bad.

Well there should not be continuity between black and white so that is good.

That is good. Too many of them use LSD, etc.

Everyone here says you only need one GFI, the nearest one to the breaker. Regardless, I think either could have tripped But below you say that neither has, so forget that.. ( You can forget this too, I guess: Up two paragraphs you checked and showed continuity between white and ground. Did you mean the ground wire, the ground hole in the outlet, or some other ground?)

Then you must have a problem between the second GFI and the outlet for the dishwasherd, including the connections at either end. Why don't you replace the 2nd GFI, if you're sure which it is, with a regular receptacle, and in doing so, check the connection from there to the dishwasher. If that is not the problem, then it is probably inside the outlet box at the dishwahser. Don't forget to turn the power off. :)

Definitely. What kind of neighborhood is this? Drugs, prostitution? Was it mistreated as a child? Sometimes you do everything right and they still go bad.

More likely a connection, as above.

Keep narrowing things down by observing carefuly and using the meter.

mm