Dishwasher Won't Drain

Our dishwasher is six years old; it's had a few problems but I've always been able to fix them. Recently, it stopped draining. At the end of the cycle, water fills the bottom. I checked for anything blocking the fine mesh filters where the water exits but it looks clean.
When I turn the dial through the cycle, I don't hear the usual "clunk" when the water exhaust segment starts so I suspect something wrong in the dial, a disconnected wire at the exhaust pump, or a burned out exhaust pump.
Any other guesses on what might be causing this?
Thanks,
Paul
Pavel314 wrote:

Is the pump running at all? That ought to be easy enough to tell.
If yes, it runs but doesn't completely empty that's a clog somewhere preventing full emptying.
If no, then you have one of the above -- again, it shouldn't take too long to isolate which.
Is the disposal clear? Does the sink drain o.k.?
We have found broken glass down there clogging it in the past. Be careful.

No disposal; the sink does drain o.k.

I had the same problem last year and it was just so much gung building up in the pipes that we had to go downstairs in the basement and unscrew the pipe and stick something up in the pipe to unclog it and so much gung and water came out and then after that everything was ok.

Pavel314 wrote:

Hi,
Make, model#? http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

A GE built d/w??
Some common trouble makers... http://www.applianceaid.com/drain_wash.html
Mine has stopped draining a few times because of blocked anti-siphoni valve. An olive pitt or similar sized piece of debris can do it.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland