Dishwasher wiring

Does a dishwasher need the 240 line or is the standard 120 sufficient?

Reply to
anthony

Some commercial dishwashers are 240V or even 3 phase. Most of the home models I have seen are 120V 15 amp or so.

The makers specs should be available for any model.

Reply to
marks542004

While all domestic dishwashers that I have seen are 120 volt, some do require a 20 amp circuit.

Reply to
EXT

In Europe it will be 240. In the US, it will be 120.

In my case, there is a receptacle mounted in the sink cabinet and the disposal and DW have cords with plugs that run to it. I don't know if that meets code, but it sure is handy if you have to remove them for service.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Depends on the dishwasher. What does the manufacturer say it needs?

In the U.S., nearly all residential dishwashers will be 120V. Commercial units may be 240V.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Just a side note here, when I installed my dishwasher and disposal I pulled 220 from the box to the plug under the sink. Then I split it at the plug. One side of the plug is switched for the disposal and the other is hot for the dishwasher.

Supposedly, because each side of the plug is out of phase with each other, you do not have to worry with and overload when the Dishwasher is in drying mode and you use the disposal.

Just my two cents.

anth> Does a dishwasher need the 240 line or is the standard 120 sufficient? >

Reply to
Fred Wilson

IMHO:

You should address this on a by dish washer basis. If you are installing one, get the installation instructions and follow the directions.

Now for the residential models I was looking at, at lowes, were all

120v models. Just my observation.

tom @

Tom The Great