Dishwasher water backing up

When we use our dishwasher, water sometimes backs up into the kitchen sink drain. What is causing this and how do I correct it?
Thanks!
Try using a plunger in the sink. That is what we do sometimes.
(To send e-mail, remove NOSPAM from address)
Scott wrote:

pumped out real fast.. if you have a blockage after either you have to use a snake to clean it out so the fast removal of the drain water will be able to flow correctly.. unlike a bathtub full of water, if this has a slow drain they it just sits there and eventually goes down a little at a time and you dont notice thats it drain is semi blocked up.....

Hi,
Does -sound- more like a slow house drain issue than a dishwasher problem!
Time to snake the drain out or have someone come in to check it out.
jeff.
snipped-for-privacy@usa.net (Scott) wrote in message

I find running the disposer helps. TB