dishwasher war!!

Wife say's dishes must be rinsed before loading in dishwasher. Husband say's get garbage off dishes and let the machine do it's job. Wife is winning. Husband rinses. Any allies on either side? Frank

Reply to
Frank

It depends on the dishwasher and how much food is on the dishes. Try not rinsing them. If they still come out clean, then what is the problem? If bits of food end up on the dishes, then you must rinse off more of the food.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

"Frank" wrote in news:_didnYb3tuK0wlXVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Since:

then...

Does it matter :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Frank wrote: ...

Basically agree w/ whoever said "try less and see" for the actual answer, but pragmatically the "does it matter?" answer may win, anyway. :)

We rinse but it takes 2-3 days for the two of us to fill it before it runs so if not rinsed, by that time the remnants don't come easily. There's the "prewash" cycle, but it's nearly as costly as the full wash so doesn't help a lot.

If were to fill and wash immediately, not so much...

--

Reply to
dpb

I don't know why I do it, but I always wash mine before putting them in the dishwasher. I guess old habits die hard, so I've never actually put dishes in that weren't clean. I do think that the newer models should do a good job without rinsing though.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

a. husband is a puss b. dishwasher should do the job. c. if you're going to rinse them, you might just as well run the soap sponge across them and put them away. d. i never did understand people who do this.

Steve Barker DLT

I'm in favor of both, depending on circumstances.

Since it is just the two of us, we may run the DW every other day. In that case, if the dishes have dairy products or things that may stink in 24 hours, they get rinsed for a second. And I do mean just a second, to get the heavy stuff off. If the DW is going to be run in the next few hours, then no, dishes are scraped and put right in. They come out perfect every time. I love the way glasses sparkle when they come out. We do use a rinse aid.

Try it and save time and water.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Loader decides :o) Other party shuts up and watches TV.

Reply to
Norminn

Careful, rational answers not allowed here.

I live alone, and don't generate a lot of dishes. I run the machine maybe once a week. So yeah, I prewash as I stack them in the sink, or or the residue turns to concrete. I might wash the odd thing by hand, but seldom feel that motivated, and the DW gets them cleaner than I can by hand. (Like the tea stains in the mugs- DW gets them pristine- I can't)

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Original dishwasher sales were abysmal based on "labor-saving" claims. Researchers found that women LIKED to wash dishes, they WANTED to wash dishes, they NEEDED to wash dishes. Social scientists were flumoxed, executives were confused, sales people actually died from confusion.

But American ingenuity saved the day: dishwashers were re-marketed with a rationale of cleanliness and sterilization. The notion of sanitation trumped whatever emotional attachment the ladies had to doing the dishes by hand and sales sky-rocketed.

What we have here is the emergence of a recessive gene in your wife. But a compromise is available. Let her rinse the dishes and everybody gets what they need. Except those who like to follow logic.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have a 14-year-old portable el cheapo Maytag (I think made by Whirlpool) and we barely scrape, let alone rinse, and everything comes out sparkling. I'm still amazed at its performance, given my memories of the '60s avocado Kitchenaid I grew up with. We literally had to wash the dishes before loading.

Reply to
jacy

On Wed 10 Sep 2008 08:47:29p, told us...

There may be other factors, too. When I was growing up, we had a 1957 Kitchenaid unit. My mother scraped well, but did not rinse the dishes. This was a model which had no detergent cup. You measured out the detergent and placed it on the door. IIRC, the only one available at the time was Electrasol. Our dishes always came out clean and spotless. I suspect water condition, water temperature, and amount of detergent all play large parts in how well any dishwasher works, past or present.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

"Frank" wrote in news:_didnYb3tuK0wlXVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Our dog's nickname is Pre-wash.

Steve

41N
Reply to
Steve IA

Most dishwasher and detergent mfrs- and even Consumer Reports-- say there's no need to pre-rinse dishes.

But if mamma wants then rinsed, then do it man. A wise man who likes to get getting sex picks and chooses his battles carefully-- and this isn't one of them, dude...

Reply to
The Wheel Man

Yes, I agree with the above. RTFM. I only run mine every few days. So I rinse off anything that if left to dry out would become a real problem. That is pretty much just uncooked egg or cake batter type stuff. Just about everything else, I scrape off the large stuff and in it goes. Never had a problem with anything coming out dirty that could be attributed to not pre-rinsing it. Of course, if you have a cooking pot that has major burned on residue, that won't come out clean. But I don't see that as a pre-rinse issue, as it needs to be soaked, hand washed, etc.

Also agree that the pre-rinsing is just using extra water and energy and goes a long way to defeating the purpose of the DW.

Reply to
trader4

its easy whoever loads it decides. I DONT RINSE my wife does.

the one who loads does it their way:) problem solved:)

Reply to
hallerb

I'm with you. Since the dishes will be sitting in the dishwasher for awhile, I rinse first. Otherwise, eeeuww.

The instructions for our dishwasher say that rinsing is not necessary, as do the instructions for the detergent we use.

However, that assumes, IMO, that one puts the dishes straight from the table into the dishwasher so that whatever is left on the dishes, pots, etc., does not dry hard while the dishes are sitting around before being put in the dishwasher.

So, since I seem to be unable to train the other members of this household, I almost always rinse (or even soak) everything before putting it in the dishwasher.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy