Dishwasher upper spray arm not turning despite water flowing

Page 4 of 4
Lobster wrote:

Second that. My dishwasher occasionally leaked and it was a devil to find.
Turned out the water-level sensor was so caked with grease, chicken-fat, raisin rinds, and other effluvia that the float would STICK in the down position and more water would be supplied, eventually running out on the floor!
There's nasty down in there. Nasty with a capital NAS.
wibbled on Sunday 07 February 2010 18:11

Yeah - many dishwashers have a funky head exchanger "matrix" through which the waste water and incoming clean water pass, moving otherwise wasted heat into the incoming water. The one I've seen on my Bosch is quite tortuous inside so if anything is going to suffer, that will be one of the first waterways to get skanked up.
--
Tim Watts

How in the world does that happen? In almost all cases, the incoming water is as hot or hotter than the water that's already in the dishwasher. Even on the ones where the dishwasher can heat the water itself, they generally only do it on cycles where you select extra heat. Otherwise the max temp is limited to the 130F incoming water. So, I don't see how this alleged heat recovery heat exchanger is going to work. In fact, in most cases it would seem to me that it would result in heat loss, not heat gain.

I think the water in the washer is, or can be, WAY hotter than the temperature of the supply line (usually).