Dishwasher upper spray arm not turning despite water flowing

Page 2 of 4

I bought a box of Savogran TSP from HD here in the Orlando area. it was inexpensive.
now the question is; *how much* do you put in the usual dishwasher load?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Note that "TSP" is a brand name. Make sure the TSP you bought is trisodium phosphate and not common lye soap shavings.

10-15% by weight or volume. This ratio is trivial to accomplish if you a) Use diswashing powder, and b) Mix up the whole box (of dishwashing soap) at once. See my earlier post on an easy way to do this.
On 1/12/2012 10:48 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

i put a cupful in the 80oz box. I think it works out to about a teaspoon per load. Plus i throw in a cup of distilled white vinegar.
--
Steve Barker

It depends on the hardness of your water. You can start with a Tablespoon and work up to 1/3 of the capacity of the dispenser. The rest is a good quality dry dishwasher detergent.
If tri-sodium phosphate (TSP) doesn't perform for you, I'd suggest Sodium Tripolyphosphate. It's related to TSP and is the actual chemical that was removed from many detergents. Google for the differences between it and TSP.
I've bought it on eBay and directly from this guy: http://www.chemistrystore.com/Chemicals_S-Z-Sodium_Tripolyphosphate.html

That's not going to be the most effective way to use it. You want the TSP to mix with the detergent - it's a booster (actually a binder), not a detergent by itself. If you throw it directly in the bottom, it gets dissolved and flushed out in the pre rinse cycle.

Mine runs to the septic tank so it should make the little buggies grow well :)
Harry K
tom wrote:

That's for a pound @ $8
For $16 you can get 4.5 pounds: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
In article

More here:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisodium_phosphate>
Erik

Yep. I think Spic n' Span use to be mostly TSP. I was not aware of the pollution issue, though. It was still available at Och Sply H/W stores last I looked, but the price was up by a factor of 15X. The same box I used to buy for less than a dollar now costs closer the $15!!
nb
--
vi --the root of evil

Iuse the tablets. How would I go about adding TSP to the machine and how much per dose?
Harry K

Iuse the tablets. How would I go about adding TSP to the machine and how much per dose?
I put about half a teaspoon on the liquid dishwashing soap I use and it makes a notable difference.

It works! Or at least the first dose made a big inroad in cleaning it up. I'll run an 'empty' load tonight.
Thank's again to all of ya.
Harry K
With a tablespoon. Try one spoonful per load, to start.

Iuse the tablets. How would I go about adding TSP to the machine and how much per dose?
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Quit using the tablets; use powder.
Pour the contents of the box of diswashing powder in a large bowl, add 10-15% (by weight or volume) of TSP.
Mix well.
Return the mixture to the box.*
--
* Cut an "X" in the top of the box, pour from the bowl, via a funnel, back
into the box. Seal the "X" with duct tape.

Thanks guys - will be visiting a paint supply store tomorrow.
Harry K
On 1/11/2012 9:51 AM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisodium_phosphate
Attila.Iskander wrote:

Also sold under the name of 'sugar soap' for decorating purposes in UK and possibly elsewhere.
Bob
On 11/01/2012 16:48, Bob Minchin wrote:

AFAIK sugar soap no longer contains TSP.

"Greater than 10% SODIUM SESQUICARBONATE
Ecotoxicity = Not expected to be toxic to aquatic organisms. "
that's reassuring ;>)
Jim K

Buy here (uk) ? http://www.intralabs.co.uk/trisodium-phosphate.html