Dishwasher TSP

Page 1 of 3
A while back I posted my problem with the dishwasher and received many good tips. Thank you all. My wife especially wanted me to thank those who suggested adding TSP to the new "imprived" dishwashing detergent. Half a tablespoon works wonders.
By strange coincidence, the cover story of the January 31 issue of the "Weekly Standard" was "Why Your Dishwasher Doesn't Work Anymore."
http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/another-triumph-greens_536862.html
Paul

well this explains why my dishwasher hasnt been working well for a long time. i am using 3 times the detergent, upped the water heaters temperature, and will be buying some TSP from the hardware store today......
thanks for the heads up.
i will run a couple empty loads rich in tsp since i noticed the inside of the machine is dirty gritty.....

TSP contains phosphate, exactly the substance which was recently removed from dishwasher detergent...
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Phosphates were removed from detergents years ago when they were linked to algae bloom issues on rivers in the vicinity of sewage treatment outlets. A load or two in a single dishwasher won't hurt anything.

hehe. Guy at work got me involved in Amway in the early '70's Didn't last long. Anyway, they had just banned phosphates in laundry detergent then, but Amway still had one with phosphates. Can't remember the details, but this guy thought Amway was real slick in how they got around it. Seems the soap companies found a substitute to get clothes clean. They'll probably find one for dishwasher soap too.
--Vic

That was laundry detergent. It's my understanding that phosphates were still used in dishwasher detergents until very recently.
--
Tegger

If you want to clean the machine, just pour in a bottle of vinegar and run an empty cycle, another tip in response to my earlier poblem. My wife did that and it worked great. You can also find stuff at the store to clean it out.
Paul
Pavel314 wrote:

Consumer Reports (Sept 2010) ran a comparison of the new dishwasher detergents. The Weekly Standard article quotes Consumer Reports that none were as good as one previous detergent, but neglects to mention that 7 were rated "very good". You might want to look at the review. There are still products out there that work.
As the article said, phosphates were limited in laundry detergents over 15 years ago.
The Weekly standard article also says the government will "outlaw incandescent bulbs in a few years", which has often been debunked by Don Klipstein in this newsgroup. A few very common wattages are banned, but even for those there are holes.
-- bud--
Where do you find the true TSP? I looked at my local building products store and they have TSP but it list on the package Phosphate free.
--

"Pavel314" < snipped-for-privacy@jhmi.edu> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@f2g2000yqf.googlegroups.com...

I got a box at our local, old-fashioned hardware store. Pure tri- sodium phosphate. I googled "phosphate free TSP" and learned the following:
"The phosphate-free formulation contains sodium metasilicates."
It goes on to describe how toxic and dangerous this replacement chemical is.
Paul
If it is toxic and dangerous it may work!! If it said "biodegradable or safe for the environment" it would not clean.
--

"Pavel314" < snipped-for-privacy@jhmi.edu> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@d23g2000prj.googlegroups.com...

A general rule: If it's expensive, inconvenient, and ineffective, it's "green".
Such is progress.
--
Tegger

Imagine...
Breakfast-cereal-free breakfast cereal.
Milk-free milk.
Peanut-free peanuts.
--
Tegger

You forgot the worst. Lite beer.
--Vic

Don't frighten me so.
--
Tegger

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:11:13 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Only water I ever bought in my life was in Gila Bend Arizona. Took my wife and kids on a big driving trip in the van and we spent a night there in a motel cooled by swamp coolers. First I ever saw. I was checking out the swamp coolers when my wife started yelling from the shower. "They got the valves on backward!" I went to check that out. "The cold water is hot!" But the valves were ok. The cold water was hot. Just how it is there. Real nasty water it was too, full of, I don't know, sulphur? Seeing I'd blown a little water out the radiator in the desert the day before, I wanted to top up the overflow tank, but I didn't like the looks of the free water there. Bought a gallon of bottled water in a grocery store. When I was paying the cashier, I said to her, "You got some scary water here. Never bought water before." She said, "I been drinking it 40 years and I feel just fine." I said, "But I'm worried about my van radiator." She wasn't amused.
--Vic

YES, not only were the dishes clean but so was the interior of the machine:) I justt got home and will recommend this to everyone.
its amazing nearly all the grit is gone.
I am running a second load of dishes & TSP as I type.
many of the dishes from the last load had been run before and were still dirty.
thus the additional load.......
I am running a experiment as I type:) For seemingly forever my clothes appear to get stiff or hard:( Noticed it big time yesterday when I gave my dogs a bath the towels were rock hard. My polo shirts get inflexible and uncomfy. I have replaced them for that reason. Fabric softener doesnt make a difference.
This got me wondering iif the same hard deposits I see in the dishwasher are happening in my clothes washer too?
will post the results:) I tried a load with 3/4 regular dish detergent 1/4 TSP. its running right now.

yep laundry detergent plus TSP.
My dad has a softener, I never like showeing there because I feel slimey, and feel like I never got the soap off........
Does that feeling go away after awhile?
yeh pittsburgh water is hard.

I'd try washing the 'stiff' clothes without any soap, a couple of times. Mebbe do it at a laundromat. I've found that even without softened water, the amount of soap they say to use on the jug or box is WAY too high, and it builds up in the clothes and towels and such. A quick check would be to lay a stiff shirt or towel in the bathtub, and point the shower at it, and see if suds develop. When I moved into a place that did have a water softener (apartment), I actually made the manager swap out the washer, because I thought it wasn't draining right, because there was still soapy water in the second rinse. Washed everything twice, the second time without soap, for a month or two, before the penny dropped, and it occurred to me to use less soap to start with. I replaced the softener when I moved into this house 5 years ago, and keep it set as low (non-soft)as it will go, and I get good results only using about 1/4 of the amount of soap the line on the cap says to use.
-- aem sends...