Dishwasher Troubles

Hi! I have a small Kenmore dishwasher. It's making a loud banging noise in between cycles. Can anyone give me an idea as to what the problem could be and if I can fix it myself without the expense of calling in a repairman. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Barbara
Barbara Devaney wrote:

Hi,
Model#? http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

Built in d/w?....maybe the hot water pipes are banging when the d/w is filling?
Since we cannot hear the noise over a forum like this, it wil be difficult to get an idea what is happening.
Thanks! I'll check out the link. Yes it is a built in. No the pipes aren't banging. The dishwasher just shakes and bangs away.
Barbara