dishwasher safe, top rack

Disasher safe, top rack. That's what it says on a lot of things.
But is it really much safer on the top rack?
After all, the hot water gets to the top rack only a split second after the bottom rack. How much colder is it really!
Maybe it is the heater, but I had thought that was either underwater, or off when there was no water, like between cycles. Except for the drying period. But I have turned my electric drying off, and I use only the air. Am I keeping things in the top rack to protect them from the electric drying that I don't use? (I have a 27 year old Kenmore-probably-Whirlpool, if that makes a difference.)
If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Bingo! It is the heater (used for drying) on some models. It would give off a lot more heat and melt some plastics.

So as long as I don't use heat to dry, I don't have to worry about top versus bottom rack?
Do you think not counting drying that the heater is off after it drains and before it refills?
(Actually I had the front off a few days ago, and I should have looked closely at the chart.)
I actually melted a plastic, imitation black wood or something salad bowl years ago while trying to fix a clog. I ran the drain cycle and maybe some of what precedes it over and over while the water didn't drain, and the heater heated the same water over and over until it was hot enough to melt the plastic. But I think it was in the top rack anyhow, and I won't make that mistake again.

If you are inclined to email me for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Are you retarded???

No. Are you?

Yes, you can sleep well tonight

Even if it is on at that time, the 15 seconds it is exposed is not going to melt anything.

Thanks, Edwin. I can count on you.