Dishwasher Rack Longevity

Page 2 of 2

My Whirlpool is something like 15 YO and the racks are beginning to show their age - it's been in a 6 person household all it's life, so it's gotten a lot of use.
The top rack is fine, the bottom rack is showing some rust on the tips and junctions of some tines.
The only tines that are missing are a couple on the Flex Row, the one that swivels down flat so you can load large objects. I assume that the movement (and removal) over the years has weakened that particular piece.
A replacement rack goes for about $119, the Flex Row, about $22 from:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com

My Whirlpool is something like 15 YO and the racks are beginning to show their age - it's been in a 6 person household all it's life, so it's gotten a lot of use.
The top rack is fine, the bottom rack is showing some rust on the tips and junctions of some tines.
The only tines that are missing are a couple on the Flex Row, the one that swivels down flat so you can load large objects. I assume that the movement (and removal) over the years has weakened that particular piece.
A replacement rack goes for about $119, the Flex Row, about $22 from:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com
------------------------------------- 15 years is about right. My old KA went 20 years +. Since these tenants were not abusive slobs, I am looking at reasons for premature failure.
Anyone have experience with nylon racks??

re: "I am looking at reasons for premature failure."
Perhaps your own words are the reason:
"We installed an *inexpensive* ($400) Maytag"
15 years ago my Whirplool cost more than $400.

And prices of appliances go down through the yrs.
Do apartment complexes use top of the line appliances? I've rented a couple of apts in my life, had many friends that have rented apts, and I've never seen racks do with the OP is questioning.
Sounds like some kind of abuse to me.
On 10/08/10 8:57 PM, Larry B wrote:

I replaced the racks in my Maytag Dishwasher. If you shop around online the cost is less than $200 for the pair.
I bought mine from appliancezone.com maybe a year ago. These were the Whirlpool part numbers for the Maytag dishwasher I have, but I imagine the prices are similar for yours.
Dishwasher Upper Rack - 99002038 $85.71 Dishwasher Lower Rack - 99002387 $82.75
There was also a $5 off coupon somewhere, and shipping was $7.95.
I looked at new dishwashers equivalent to what I had, and decided to take the risk of the new racks being worthwhile in relation to the life of the dishwasher (which had been fixed twice in a recall).
Prior to replacing the racks I was doing surgery with wire cutters and heat shrink tubing, but eventually there were too many lost tines.
Look for dishwashers on craigslist and freecycle for rentals. Often someone is re-doing their kitchen and has a like-new dishwasher for very little (or free).
On 10/08/10 8:57 PM, Larry B wrote:

My Maytag racks lasted about six years before they started rusting, and after eight years I replaced them. I don't think that I'm unduly hard on the dishwasher.
At only 3.5 years you might want to replace the racks if you can get them for under $200 at the source I got mine (pointed out in an earlier post). I don't recall any other dishwashers that I've had having the racks rust as fast as the ones on the Maytag, and they've been replaced for other reasons.
wrote Re Re: Dishwasher Rack Longevity:

I've had the rusting-rack with Maytag also; as well as other problems. My solution was to replace the Maytag with another brand last year.

Larry B wrote:

Chances are, they bent the tines to get something to fit in, breaking the coating, allowing water to rust the tines, causing them to break off as they weakened.
alt.home.repair:

I had a Maytag dishwasher that the racks rusted badly in many places after about 8 - 10 years. I, too, was shocked by the price of new ones. I ended up buying some used ones off eBay. They lasted until the dishwasher broke for good.
I think the original racks were too thinly coated with plastic. The coating got nicked, which exposed the metal to water. I think they were poorly made - the coating was too thin.
Larry B wrote:

Just wondering out loud here - -
Could you score some stainless rod, and, with enough measurements, cut it up to the right sizes for all the frame, runners, and 'bed of nails.' After all the pieces are prepared, bent, and tapered, take the stuff to a welding shop and have them construct a new rack?
On 8/10/2010 11:57 PM, Larry B wrote:

We too have an inexpensive Maytag about 3 yrs old. Use it all the time. Racks look as good as when it was installed. I suspect gross abuse by the tenant. Maybe they got it all stained and tried to clean it before moving out with some corrosive liquid? Sounds like a good justification for withholding at least some of the additional month's rent you probably required when they moved in.

They are defnately buying the new racks.
On 12/08/10 11:26 PM, Larry B wrote:

If you've got sheeple for tenants then they might not challenge you on taking that out of their security deposit. Maybe you had especially bad tenants, but no tenants I've had would have done anything out of the ordinary to damage appliances. The Maytag racks are poor quality even on their more expensive models, probably on the cheap models they're even worse.

"Sheeple". That is funny. They were not bad tenants by any means. But these racks are wasted. Missing at least 8 tines along with another 10 that are getting there. I am not talking about tine tips and the likes. Seems like a lot. Earlier I made a comment about their having burned up some plastic dinnerware/containers in the unit possibly releasing plastic vapors that could have weakend the rack coating. Is that possible? Thanks for your thoughts.