Dishwasher Question

I am a first time home buyer. I have observed when the dishwasher is working then water comes out of the protruding part (I am not sure what it is called) located by the side of the kitchen sink faucette. Can anybody please help me figure out what is wrong and how to get it fixed.

Reply to
Abhijit

Sounds like a portable. That's how they drain. A portable came with my house that I was able to "install" and not have to drag around so it could spit waste water all over the kitchen sink. For me it was a matter of drilling a couple holes in the floor and running some hose's for water and waste to the basement. I Y'ed off the hot water feed for the clothes washer and ran the waste to the washtub in the basement. Used garden hose fittings and high temp hose for the supply. BIG improvement.

Reply to
tgilb

"tgilb" wrote in news:s6CVc.5725$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I think what the OP is referring to is an "air gap" which is mounted on the faucet deck of the sink. If these are clogged, water can come out of the air gap when the DW is draining. IIRC, the cap of the air gap can be unscrewed to expose the small pipes underneath, where the clog probably is.

This has nothing to do with a portable DW.

Reply to
Wayne

abhijit snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Abhijit) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Sounds like this is your problem...

See

Q. "My airgap on my sink keeps spitting water every time that I run our dishwasher. What is wrong?"

A. Quality made air gaps are pretty basic products that rarely go "bad". If you purchased your airgap from us you can rest assured that it is a quality airgap. IF your air gap didn't spit in the past then try running your garbage disposer for a few minutes. Basically the way your dishwasher airgap works is that water is pumped through the smaller side of the airgap (5/8") into the airgap and then gravity takes it to your sink (or disposer) with larger hose (7/8"). The larger size has an area of about twice as large and with gravity there normally isn't any problem. If the 7/8" hose is sagging or there is grease build up or a partial stoppage or blockage in your sink/disposer the airgap can "spit." After inspecting under the sink to make sure the 7/8" isn't kinked or going up hill at all (it has to go smoothly downhill all the way) then disconnect the 7/8" hose at the sink/disposer and point it into a large bucket. Then run the dishwasher and see if the airgap still spits. If it does then you know you need a new airgap and if it doesn't then you know the "problem" is after the hose.

HTH

Reply to
Wayne

Hi,

*Sounds* like an air gap for the d/w drain, this prevents water from flowing backwards. If the air gap is leaking it may be clogged or dirty and needs a good cleaning out, if the leak still occurs just replace the air gap. Many plumbing codes require the air gap as part of your house plumbing code, my area doesn't need them :)

air gap drain

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Oh, that's what it looks like! Thanks. I was imagining something uglier like the pipe for my mother's washing machine.

Still, I'm glad I don't need one, whatever reason.

Curly Sue