Dishwasher question

I dont know anything about dishwashers,

I was working on a new on my lanldord got us, Americana brand,

And there is no water going into the machine, checked all the obvious connections,

And I reached in and my hand brushed the black thing around the bottom, the heating element I think it is, and my hand was burned badly,

Should that "thing" have been that hot ?

I had the water on for about 1 minute, I cycled the thing like I was told to.

Any ideas

Thank You Craig

Reply to
Craig

That "thing" is a heating element. Yes, it should be hot, no, your hand should not be on it. The purpose is to assure that the water is heated hot enough during one or two cycles to assure proper cleaning and sanitizing. Some machines will fill, then hold until the water reaches about 180 degrees, then start pumping and washing. It may do it again during the sani-rinse cycle.

Did you have another question about the water? You said no water was coming in, but then you said there was water in it. ? ? ? ?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Check the float valve..its a cylindrical, usually white, plastic knob about

3" in diameter on the bottom of the inside compartment. When the washer fills with water, it floats up and shuts the water off. One of the D/W I installed had a sticking valve and , initially, no water would flow in. I gave it a tap and it dropped down and away it went. R
Reply to
Rudy

Rudy Sep 15, 10:59 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair From: "Rudy" - Find messages by this author Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 05:59:32 GMT Local: Thurs, Sep 15 2005 10:59 pm Subject: Re: Dishwasher question Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

3" in diameter on the bottom of the inside compartment. When the washer fills with water, it floats up and shuts the water off. One of the D/W I installed had a sticking valve and , initially, no water would flow in. I gave it a tap and it dropped down and away it went
Reply to
Craig

You sir, are a god! I just fixed mine, it's been broken about 3 months, after reading this.

Happy dancing, calling DH to brag. ;)

Thanks for posting here! A

Reply to
Angrie.Woman

Sorry to hear you burnt your hand. The element gets hot to heat the water (which should be there, but isn't in your case) and then it gets hot again at the end to dry the dishes, though maybe it does this only if your dw has a "power dry" cycle. You may be able to turn that on or off. This is why some stuff is only "top rack" safe; plastics etc will melt if they're too close to the element.

Some dishwashers don't have the element, they have a heater in-line in the water inlet, and they have some other scheme like air circulation to try to dry the dishes.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

First thing that comes to mind - by any chance is this a 'portable unit' that you hook up to the kitchen faucet? If so, did you remember to turn on the water at the faucet? I know... that is pretty basic but it has happened to me with my portable unit at least a couple times. ;}

~~Phil~~

Reply to
Phil Marshall

You re welcome..now you can use the former "dishwashing" time for real around the home projects

Reply to
Rudy