Dishwasher question

I will be buying several kitchen appliances for a new home. In the past I have used only the normal cycle to wash my dishes. Occassionally, I use the rinse hold cycle. The more cycles offered, the higher the price. Would I get a dishwasher of lesser quality if I buy one with fewer cycles? I am looking for quality, not cycle choices I will never use. Salespeople have given me conflicting answers. Pat

Reply to
Pat Evans

Sales people often have only the information provided by the manufacturer of the product.

Extra features and higher price imply quality.

One of the best dishwashers I ever had had only three cycles, Nomal wash , Heavy duty (pot cleaning) , and light (for very small loads or delicate items)

Places like Good Housekepping or consumer reviews can be good sources of info.

Reply to
marks542004

Generally speaking, the number of cycles really doesn't matter much at all. Select a model based on more important factors. e.g.

  • Do you want a stainless steel interior?
  • Do you want a self cleaning filter?
  • Do you want to avoid an exposed heating element?

Generally speaking, higher-end models will offer more cycles (that you'll probably never use).

Having said all that, if you think you're likely to wash lots of small loads, it may be worth looking for a model that offers a half-load program. The energy savings may be significant.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Depends.

Quality implies longevity and reliability. it also implies good construction.

The more expensive models do have more cycles that you won't use, but they often have better sound insulation, stainless steel instead of plastic interiors, more adjustment of the racks. Most web sites by the major appliance makers allow you to compare features so that is a good stat.

As for washing dishes, even the low end models today do a good job. Both a Ford Pinto and a Jaguar will get you to work every day, but you look better getting there in one of them. Looks do account for something in a new kitchen too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As a widower who lives alone, I have some housekeeping techniques that I'm sure my daughters would tell me are disgusting (if they dared :>). One of the things I do is to use the same glasses and cups for 2 or 3 days in a row. Another is to fill one of my kitchen sinks with soapy water and then rinse the dishes off and put them in the soapy water until I get ready to load the dishwasher 3 or 4 days later.

The problem with this technique is that if you don't rinse the soap off the dishes first, bubbles will come out of the dishwasher onto the floor. Therefore, the RINSE/WASH LATER cycle is an absolute necessity for me. Then, when I do wash the dishes, by the way, I wash them on the POTS AND PANS, setting whether they need or not. Using that technique, my dishes turn out sparking clean. I wouldn't be surprised if I actually have the cleanest dishes in town.

Reply to
mgkelson

Well, I'm not one of your daughters, so I'll take your dare: That's disgusting!

The soaking part is fine, but using the same cup/glass for 2 - 3 days in a row? For water, maybe, but for milk, juice or anything else that spoils, I hope you at least rinse them thoroughly after each use.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, you'll get a better value for your dollar. Skip all the extra buttons and the SS lining and pocket the extra $200. One feature I'm willing to pay extra is sound deadening material around the outside. A good installation can make or break any appliance.

Reply to
Phisherman

I just do it with water and iced tea and coffee. Milk glasses get a quick rinse and go in the soapy water. I don't drink juice. It's hard on the old stomach. I would drink carrot juice, though, if I could find some. I've been thinking about making my own. To be honest, though, even water and iced tea glasses and coffee cups get pretty disgusting after 2 or 3 days.

Reply to
mgkelson