Dishwasher Preferrence

I'd get another Maytag. I don't care about quiet; what I care about are things such as: wiring and supply piping in the same location as my current Maytag, price, availability of unit, and availability of parts. I don't think a dw should cost over about $400; of course I wouldn't pay 200 grand for a house either, it is just a house not a goldmine.
I am not sure where you live but in Colorado around Denver 230k-250k gets you an average home in suburbia with 3 bedroom and 2 1/2 baths average size suburban yard and $2200.00 in taxes!

would

Not there. That kind of money in mid missouri gets you a mc-mansion.

size
Or a pretty decent hillbilly double-wide...
Good to see there are still some other practical people left in America. Des

It's not that I wouldn't pay $200 grand for a house, it's simply that you can't buy one around here for that. Any lot/house selling for $200K or less is immediately snapped up by a contractor who proceeds to knock it down and put up a house that sells for $600K+.

Sounds like the gotta-have-its have control of the market. Only remedy is to wait them out.

Miele,Asko,Bosch the only 3 worth buying all others are throw away dw's. for rental apartments.

Rotflmao!! My Mom had a Whirlpool that ran 20 years, I moved into a house with a Maytag that ran 20 years before I got tired of a timer problem and replaced it. I wouldn't pay double for something with a fancy name on it, especially without a good parts network to back it up.

would
years ago they "were" reliable machines. they just don't make them like they used to.

parts for these brands (Miele,Asko,Bosch) are very easy to find and they have trained and competent service people.
Jenn-Air used to be great too now there just lucky to be good.
any dishwasher under $300 is a throw away machine..........

Doubt that. I know of no dealer for Bosch, Miele or Asco in a town of 100,000. There meay be one, but they sure don't advertise it.

=Sears sells/services Bosch. =

I've been told some of the Bosch models Sears sells have reduced features than what a comparable model sold elsewhere will have.
JFYI
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+dishwashers
=~~~~~~

=Interesting--With the same manufacturer's model numbers? =>

Close but *slightly* different model number (eg. last digit change only). What I was told was that one model that Sears sold didn't have the adjustable upper rack which allow 14' (?) plates to be washed whereas the comparable model at another retailer did.
It is not uncommon for large chain stores to sell *slightly* changed models so a direct comparison between products at different stores can't made. That helps when those store offer to match the price of "the same model" sold elsewhere, but it isn't.
JMO
Dan O.
On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 16:54:48 -0500, "Dan O."

Wow! *THIS* dishwasher I'd like to see. It must be as big as a house!

=Understood--But, wouldn't there be some cost in changing the specs? =>

Gini wrote:

No, because (according to my college economics text, anyway) they catch them at a slow time of the year and give them an order that will keep their employees busy, and it actually ends up costing them less because it's a limited run order.
--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

That's not exactly how it works with Sears. They come in an offer to buy a *substantial* quantity of product from you. To get the order, you have to build to their specs. So, it's not a "slow time build" issue, it's a "sell volume" issue. Don't forget, Bosch does not have a production line for every model of dishwasher they build. They use the same line to build multiple models. If Sears does have unique specs then it's just a typical "model switch" on the line and you build to their specs that day.

BTW. The person which relayed that particular account to me said that Sears was even using the Bosch in store display which touted the 14" plate capability.

It depends on what changes are being made. Some are just cosmetic in which case putting in a different style drawer, adding another shelf and/or sticking on (or removing) a trim may be all that's done. Just enough that the model can be claimed to be different. I don't think there's any *major* design changes made usually.
JMO
Dan O.