Dishwasher Not Filling Completely With Water

Hello all:
I have a Whirlpool Model DU8700XY-4 dishwasher (14 years old) that came with the house when we moved in. It never did a fantastic job cleaning and over the last few weeks it has gotten much worse. In my reading of various posts on the subject I discovered that the water level should be coming up to just under the heating element. Lo and behold I was only getting a few cups worth of water. If I add about 8 cups of water manually to the tub the dishes come out better than ever.
I removed the inlet valve and dis-assembled it. I rinsed it out removing a very small amount (a few specs) of gunk and replaced the old supply line with a flexible metal dishwasher line. I also tested the valve with an ohm meter and I do get a reading, which is supposed to indicate that the solenoid is OK.
I now get about twice as much water, but still not enough so I rigged the door so that I could watch the tub fill and it the water just kind of flows slowly out of the hole. In contrast, the sink faucet has plenty of pressure. I've even made sure there was no other water in use anywhere in the house that could be lowering the pressure.
My question is should the water be entering the tub with more pressure and thus filling it up higher? If so, is the valve still the most likely suspect at this point?
Thanks.
Just thought I would point out that you will probably be much happier with a new dishwasher. A good one (check consumer reports ratings) will very reasonably priced, quiet and get your dishes clean without rinsing. One of the great advances in dishwashers is that they stop for a moment and let the garbage settle before pumping out the dirty water. Lots of simple improvements have made a big difference.

Agreed, and I could also use a new refrigerator, chimney, and a car or two. :) Just trying to make the dishwasher last as long as possible. Like I said, with the extra water I add manually the dishes come out great - no rinsing required.

Is that one new? Mine pauses at that point, I think, and it's 28 years old. I'll do a load to check if you want me too.
Lots of simple

How long does it pause for. The new ones give a good thirty seconds or more. THe old ones just stopped to change modes. In any case the newer dishwashers do one heck of a job. Of course part of the improvement is also the detergents.
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 00:05:21 GMT, "Art"

Don't usually pay that much attention so I'll have to check. I'm curios but tired. Maybe tomorrow. With the clothes or dish washer -- dont remember which--, I've gotten impatient and advanced the timer when it wasn't doing anything. I thought the pause was just a foible of construction. If it's the dishwasher, I'll stop doing that.

Some of the newest dishwashers actually stop for a moment while washing, let out a bit of the dirtiest water and then continue.
I was once talking to a dishwasher designer and it was interesting to hear all the stupid stuff they worry about. For example, are you better off with a flat wide seal on the door or a narrow seal that has much more pressure per square inch. All kinds of stuff. Then they put in a crappy motor from China!
On or about Mon, 04 Jun 2007 15:37:01 -0000 did demiurge

Every dishwasher I've seen doesn't determine water level by how long it's been filling, but via a float of some sort on the bottom. Look for something sticking up, probably in the front on one side or the other. It may still be shutting off after a fixed filling time (as a safety measure for a broken float, perhaps), but it's hard to tell without knowing just where your float is, and what it looks like when the washer thinks it's filled.
--
- Mike

Ignore the Python in me to send e-mail.
dribble thusly: