Dishwasher NOT ADJACENT sink

So let's see, you rinse "all that food" into the sink to keep the dishwasher from draining it into the same drain.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Mon 21 Jul 2008 10:28:50p, willshak told us...

I really don't care how you use *your* dishwasher. I was only pointing out that your information about them was incorrect.

Cheers!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 22 Jul 2008 03:35:11a, Mikepier told us...

I realize that. They are not a substitute for a garbage disposal unit, in fact, they clearly will not handle larger pieces of food. However, it doesn't take rinsing to prep the dishes. Scraping off food particles/ residue is sufficient.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

willshak wrote in news:MZqdncGp3IqM7RjVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

I heard you throw your meal into the dishwasher and jump in there and eat the food in there.

Reply to
Stephen King

Umm...like everyone else without a disposal, my sink plug has a strainer. I rinse the dishes, pull out the plug, empty into the trash, clean out the sink, done. So, no...no food bits go down my sink. What are you, learning impaired?

Yes you can get both grinding and non-grinding in America, the ones with grinders run louder. Soft food can get through my non-grinder fine, but I make sure nothing hard like a cherry pit goes into the DW. Mine drains into the garbage disposal through a flexible 1 inch hose raised in the middle. Never had a clog in 12 years, heavy twice/ thrice a day use, drain hose has to run about 5 or 6 feet to sink.

Reply to
RickH

Hi, But case like this I'd bite the bullet and do it properly once and all. Washer away from sink, how inconvenient! If ever selling the house, would-be buyer won't like it at all!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hmm, Cooling box and heating box side by side? I'd never design a kitchen like that. Next to our stove is a counter space we call hot plate where we can put hot pots and pans, etc. Surface is tile. Basic rule of kitchen, triangular movement between stove, fridge and washer. Our kitchen is like that.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Great!

Add your name in the 'No Rinse' column.

My wife has often told me, "Don't you put those muddy/oily/greasy clothes in my washing machine before rinsing them off", so I guess that would be a Yes, if I know what's good for me.

Reply to
willshak

To keep it from going through some small plastic-housed electric water pump that's buried in the dishwasher and could cost $$$ to replace, then yes.

Reply to
willshak

Well my dishwasher has a strainer so no bits go down the sink, so what's the difference?

Reply to
J. Clarke

If your dishwasher is that fragile it's a piece of crap.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm not sure of the rules for a dishwasher standpipe. However, here are the Uniform Plumbing Code rules for a laundry standpipe: receptor (opening) between 18 in and 30 in above the trap, trap between 6 in and 18 in above the floor (not below the floor).

So if you want to do this, I'd suggest using a laundry box in the wall for the receptor, and then running the trap arm horizontally in the wall to connect up with the sink drain.

Good question. Clearly 2" is adequate, since it is adequate for a kitchen sink. I'd be inclined to say 1.5" is adequate, but I can't back that up with a code citation. Dishwasher isn't broken out as a separate fixture in my code reference. You may be limited by the trap arm length-- 3'6" for 1.5" trap arm, 5' for a 2" trap arm under the Uniform Plumbing Code.

Perhaps you could just get a long dishwasher discharge hose and run it across to the kitchen sink cabinet? Not sure.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

When we moved into our current house, it had a disposal and the dishwasher drain hose was connected to a fitting on the side of the disposal's grinding chamber. So any solid "chunks" in the drain water could sit around in the disposal until the next time it ran. However, the dishwasher itself had a fine screen on the pump inlet, so there shouldn't have been any chunks in the drain water - the disposal hookup was unnecessary.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

Sometimes that's the only way to lay out the appliances, typically in kitchens with multiple doorways. I had a similar situation where I had the fridge and the stove on the same wall (nothing else on that wall) because there was no other place to put them in an older kitchen that had three doorways and a lot of original built-in cabinetry (house dated from 1910). The kitchen I have now has four doorways, and the fridge is in the pantry adjacent to the kitchen. We don't have a triangle for the big three: more like a sideways T, with the stove at the foot, and the fridge and the sink on the ends of the top. Works ok though because the distances are short.

Reply to
KLS

"well I have had my dishwasher draining down a rubber hose to my basement washtub, and never had a clog. I never rinse the dishes before washing. would you rinse your clothes before putting them in the clothes washer???"

-------------------------

Not sure what your point is... As I said, I don't even use a dishwasher. I wouldn't do my clothes by hand if that helps you at all..

If you're not doing periodic mainatanance on your dishwasher, you're actually pulling out a more disgusting and potentially harmfull (to your health) dish than you've put in there..

I'd love to hear what you all do to clean your dishwashers...? I bet most people don't do anything and think this is ok...

Reply to
in2-dadark

On what information do you base your contention that what comes out is "more disgusting and potentially harmful"?

What "periodic maintenance" do you believe to be necessary?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Obviously it is okay...

I'm not stepping over the bodies of dishwasher derelicts.

I bet you don't even eat food that you drop on the floor!

Reply to
HeyBub

On Thu 24 Jul 2008 04:14:47a, told us...

Dishwashers don't really require much maintenance. I check the filter screen of mine to see if there are any larger particles that didn't dissolve or pass through the screen. Dishwasher detergents usually have some amount of bleach in them. Water temperatures plus the bleach are enough to sanitize. I also use a product in the closed detergent cup called Lemi-Shine which is essentially a citric acid concentrate. My dishwasher is always scrupulously clean. Frankly, I think you are either seriously OCD or a complete idiot.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

And I thought Howard Hughes had died years ago!

Reply to
salty