Dishwasher NOT ADJACENT sink

Page 1 of 4

I need to install a dishwasher at my nephew's new (old) house. It needs to be placed NOT ADJACENT to sink. (Two cabinet bays away).
I'm thinking that I should erect a standpipe drain behind the dishwasher, with a trap below floor level in the basement. Then have the discharge hose go into the top of the open pipe the way a clothes washer's does. Standpipe needs to fit behind washer, in front of wall.
Question: What is minimum size for standpipe to be used in this situation?
Or should I be approaching this in some other way?
Thank you.
JacksonD wrote:

Yes, ... seriously reconsider relocating the cabinets...

Wow. You just can't "move" cabinets. I do carpentry work and this would be time-consuming job for the typical homeowner. I'd place the drain in back of the cabinets with a minimum 1/4" drop per foot. The 1.5" PVC should be enough.
Phisherman wrote:

Well, so do I and _I've_ moved cabinets...it takes effort, yes, but probably will be a more workable end result as far as the overall kitchen layout. I'm of the "do it once, right" as opposed to "whatever gets by" camp...
Phisherman wrote:

But case like this I'd bite the bullet and do it properly once and all. Washer away from sink, how inconvenient! If ever selling the house, would-be buyer won't like it at all!

you can route the pipes behind or through the back of the intervening cabinets. it will be a major hassle to load the washer though.
charlie wrote:

Why will it be a "major hassle"?
--John

Its really not a major or any at all, actually it gives me 30 inches of room to stand between sink and DW keeping the DW door out of my way. Unloading is even easier as the cabinet between DW and sink gets most of the clean stuff. Its a corner sink with DW to right of a 30 inch drawerbase that adjoins the sink.

I see no problem with that, set it up like a washing machine discharge probably 1 1/2" pipe. Make sure the discharge hose is fixed so it can't fall out. I can appreciate that some kitchens just won't allow ideal placement.

When you say 2 bays away, what are the widths of the cabinets? Just out of curiousity, why can't you put it next to the sink? It will be awkward washing a dish , then placing it a few feet away in the dishwasher.

To left of sink is 30" cabinet. Then counter turns 90 degrees. If I put washer to left of sink I lose 30" of storage PLUS access to corner storage. PLUS, then need to do extensive cabinet reworking. To left of corner is range. Then 24" base cabinet. Then refrigerator. I could move range to left and put DW where range was. That way, DW door opens almost to sink. BUT, then the stove would be right next to the frig, and my intuition tells me that's not good. I don't know why but I feel it. Maybe someone could address this point.
To right of sink there are two 21" cabinets. If I put DW there, need to rework cabinets, then left with only 18" base cabinet.
Basement access in unhindered. Putting it where I proposed seems like the best all around solution.
I welcome further input from you all.
Thank you.
BUT, then the stove would be right next to the frig, and my intuition tells me that's not good. I don't know why but I feel it. Maybe someone could address this point.
My stove has been next to the frig for the last 20 years without problems. However having counter space on both sides of the stove to set pots on is better.
Pat wrote:

Cooling box and heating box side by side? I'd never design a kitchen like that. Next to our stove is a counter space we call hot plate where we can put hot pots and pans, etc. Surface is tile. Basic rule of kitchen, triangular movement between stove, fridge and washer. Our kitchen is like that.

Sometimes that's the only way to lay out the appliances, typically in kitchens with multiple doorways. I had a similar situation where I had the fridge and the stove on the same wall (nothing else on that wall) because there was no other place to put them in an older kitchen that had three doorways and a lot of original built-in cabinetry (house dated from 1910). The kitchen I have now has four doorways, and the fridge is in the pantry adjacent to the kitchen. We don't have a triangle for the big three: more like a sideways T, with the stove at the foot, and the fridge and the sink on the ends of the top. Works ok though because the distances are short.

Ok , I see your situation now. Your better off leaving the stove where it is. better to have counter space on either side.
One thing to keep in mind. Since you have a fridge on one side and a stove on the other, how will the dishwasher be secured, and how will the countertop be secured. You will have to put some kind of panel or cleat on either side of the dishwasher to support the counter. If your fridge has panels on each side, then you need to just worry about the stove side. Something to think about.

Can you possibly put up a photo of the arrangement? Perhaps one of us could comeup with a reasonable alternative.
To right of sink there are two 21" cabinets. If I put DW there, need to rework cabinets, then left with only 18" base cabinet. -----------------------
Or, you could put an 18-inch wide dishwasher in where one of the 21-inch cabinets are located:
http://www.kitchenbath.com/18_inch_dw.htm
BETA-35 wrote:

If you inspect several brands of 18 incher you'll find that they are pretty much the same, as in most parts are interchangeable, and they're pretty much crap. I went through two of them before I finally bit the bullet and made room for a full size.
--John
Why would you 'wash' a dish THEN put it in a dishwasher? I carry mine by the trash can, dump the heavy stuff off and put them in the dishwasher. That's what it is for. When coming from the table, i actually get to the dishwasher before getting to the sink. It would be extra movements to go to the sink then back to the DW.