Dishwasher - mystery leak

Recently noticed a little water where the kickplate meets the floor on the right side of the dishwasher. Just a trace but I suspected there was more underneath the dishwasher. Since I live alone, the dishwasher only gets run every 6 or 7 days so it's younger in terms of run cycles than it's 17 years. Still I decided to try to find the source of the leak before doing anything. If it was a simple hose clamp or hose replacement I figured I could handle that. If it required a serviceman, I'd just replace it, since parts and a couple hours labor would likely run about 1/2 the cost of a new unit.

Today I pulled the kickplate-access panel. There were signs of small amounts of water having leaked in the past but nothing major. I ran the dishwasher through a normal wash, rinse and dry cycle. Every 5 minutes I looked underneath to try to find the source of the leak. Nothing. Ran completely through prewash, wash, and rinse and not a drop leaked. It went into the dry cycle and I had no idea where the water had come from before. With the water using and drain cycles ended I stopped checking.

After the dry cycle finished and the clean light had come on I decided to check once more. Now there's between half a cup and a cup of water on the floor underneath the dishwasher. It appears to have come from near the center of the dishwasher.

Anyone have any ideas what might be leaking and why it doesn't leak during filling, washing or draining cycles but starts after the unit goes to the dry cycle? It's a mystery to me.

Reply to
BillJ

It's a Kenmore. Pretty close to top of the line when I bought it. I think it might have been made by Whirlpool but my memory is a little hazy on that.

Reply to
BillJ

If the water is coming from the center it's probably a seal or corrosion you can't see. It would really have to be a special 17 year old unit to spend money on it.

Reply to
Ed

Is this a GE product?

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

A name and model number would help alot.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

The GE products an I suspect some others have a problem with the lower pump seal. That is why I asked. Not worth repairing as the pump assembly is over $100.

If you can't find any cracked hoses or loose connections I would guess your best bet is a new DW.

A trick for finding a small leak (which a cup and half is not) is lay a single layer of paper towels or tissue on a dry floor run the machine and check the paper to see where the drip came from. This is about all the help I can offer on this one.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

"Colbyt" wrote

The bottom of a dishwasher is pitched to the center so a leak almost anywhere will usually show up under the motor using this method.

Reply to
Ed