Dishwasher leaves grit on dishes

Hello,

my Kenmore diskwaher leave grit and garbage on my dishes. this is not from the dishes that are put in it. the arems move ok and are not clogged. drain is not clogged. seems to be heating and filling ok? any suggenstions hot to fix this? is there a buildup of gunk someplace.

thanks

Reply to
BM

Take it to the nearest bridge and drop it in the river. Then go buy a real dishwasher. On second thought, you don't need one, they are energy wasters. Do dishes by hand.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

If you run it empty, do you find the same residue on the inner surfaces or racks?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Is this something new or has it always been this way?

Reply to
hrhofmann

BM wrote in news:Xns9C96C4975EDEDbm@198.186.190.224:

Have you taken the chopper assembly apart and checked it? Had very similar issue once. Found chopper all messed up. Broken plastic, washer and clip came apart as well as some broken glass bits. Replaced assembly.

Reply to
Red Green

To this, I'll add the fact that there are some vegetable parts which can only be chewed up by microorganisms or plastic explosives, and some people do a lousy job of scraping plates because they think food disposals & dishwashers can handle anything.

Many years ago, I discovered you can make the strongest rope in the universe by putting kale stems into the sink disposal.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Dishwashers are well proven to both clean better and use less water and energy than hand washing dishes (presuming you run it with a reasonable sized load).

Reply to
Pete C.

Some detergents leave behind what looks like grit. That happens when the water is not circulating properly, the water is not hot enough, or the water is hard and not rinsing properly.

It is also possible that you are suddenly getting grit from your water source or the hot water heater is about to crap out and is sending mineral deposits. Take some hot water in a clean glass container and let it settle out overnight to see if there is any solids.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Do all dishwashers have a way of heating the incoming water, or just the better ones?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

AFAIK All do. BUT a repairman recommended that all users let hot water run at kitchen faucet till it is really hot prior to turning on DW.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Only for idiots who run the hot rinse water continuously. I KNOW I use much less water than a dish washer. All I need is a small bowl with soapy water and a sponge. Turn the water on, rinse, shut the water off. Some people are so stupid and run a full sink of water and run the hot water the whole time for rinsing. A dish washer fills and empties several times using hot water all the time and use an electrical element to dry like an oven. Total waste of power. And sometimes they don't even get all the crud off. You either have to Pre-wash or wash again after. Really STUPID!

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

How much water would you estimate that you use to wash 10 dinner plates, 10 smaller plates, 30 utensils, 6 bowls and 12 cups or glasses?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I warsh my dish in the crick behind my trailer with homemade soap! Sometime I even warsh the dog dish like that too!

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

-snip-

You gots a dog and still needs to warsh dishes? Whatsit crippled in the mout or sumpin?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

About a gallon.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Why warsh'em? you gonna just dirty dem agin. Just scrap'em off and re-usem.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

You're lying. Don't lie. The only other option is that you don't rinse the soap off sufficiently or you don't use enough soap to have clean dishes.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Almost certainly the water in which you are washing dishes by hand is not as hot as the water in which modern dishwashers wash dishes. Even if it's 120 degrees F as it comes out of the faucet, it won't stay that way for long. And your hands probably wouldn't stand it for long.

Almost certainly the dishwashing detergent you use to wash dishes by hand is not as potent as the detergent designed for dishwashers. If it's easy on your hands, it's not as aggressive at removing grease, etc.

Certainly (no "almost" this time) you are not rinsing your dishes in

180-degree water, let alone maintaining them at that temperature for several minutes to sanitize them, as our dishwasher does.

I've never seen a dishwasher that didn't allow "heated dry" to be turned off.

The only time I've seen crud left on items coming out of our Whirlpool-built Kenmore dishwasher is when it wasn't loaded properly.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I warsh mine once in the spring when the ice on the crick thaws and once in the fall befer it freezes. Then I let the dawg lick em clean inbetween.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

I use a little soap and a little bleach. Maybe it's 2 gallons. It don't take long to rinse the soap off a plate both sides under the faucet with a slow trickle.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw