Dishwasher leaks, but only sometimes!

We can't figure it out. Sometimes wake up to a giant puddle on our kitchen floor...the dishwasher leaks.
We always make sure that the garbage disposal has run, and that the sink drains aren't blocked.
But sometimes it leaks, and sometimes it doesn't.
In fact, it leaked yesterday, but not last night. We ran it again this morning, and it didn't leak. Right now it is running again, and this time it's leaking! (Yeah, alot of dishes these past couple of days).
The dishwasher is a Kitchenaid, about 2 years old.

Check that the door is closing properly Something in the basket that still allows the door to latch, but not quite close all the way? Check the screws around the top where it mounts to the countertop. I had one back out just a little and it caused a leak.
Check the top rack to be sure it is seating properly and not pushing against the door. Ed
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in message

Hi,
Sometimes a leak will leave a tell tale sign ( white streak is possible from the soap and water ) that may point you towards the trouble maker.
Have you accually seen the d/w leak?....from under the door, from under the d/w itself?
http://www.applianceaid.com/dishleaks.html Some common leaking trouble makers.
Ever see any sudz inside the d/w?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Where does it leak?
I was told that a dishwasher can leak at the door due to sudsing. If you have a lot of suds that might be the case.
Just open your dishwasher after the normal wash cycle (when the water is drained) and see if you have a lot of suds.
There're few reasons of oversudsing: too much detergent, wrong detergent being used, water is too soft...
--
Signature has been removed to save disk space.

I have the same problem. Mine is a "portable" Kenmore. Originally I thought I'd cured the problem, because I found broken glass in the bottom. When I removed this, it no longer leaked. But it has started again, and I don't know why either. It definitely comes out the bottom, and I don't see any soap in the water.
Let me know if you solve your problem, and I share my solution if I find one!

see
Check to make sure the float that controls the water level isn't sticking (maybe intermittently) because food (or a piece of that broken glass)is under it. Could tip it so it sticks or make the shaft it slides up and down in sticky....Also could be a faulty switch .
This sounds like it could be the answer--where do I find the float? Thanks.

bottom.
down

Hi,
Depends on the make/model/style of your d/w....a common one....
http://appliancehelp.hypermart.net/britimages/dishwashfloat.jpg
Float switch is below the d/w behind the lower access panals. http://www.applianceaid.com/dishaccess.html
I missed the original post, but looking at the subject I'd like to respond.
We had a leaky dishwasher (sometimes). The problem turned out to be a missing mounting screw for the top pull-out rack. The missing screw left a hole in the side of the dishwasher and I guess sometimes we'd put a dish in that blocked water from the hole. The times when we loaded it differently, the water could spray right at the hole and the dishwasher leaked.
good luck. mikey.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If the dishwasher isn't draining properly the dishwasher will leak. There's usually a plunger type pump inside the washer that will allow you to unclog it.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Check for suds in the water when the dishwasher is running, there shouldn't be any.
Make sure the spray arms are turning freely and not jammed pointing directly at the door like from a spoon fallen through on of the racks or the racks touching them.
Make sure plates are loaded as per the user's manual and not in such a position as water from the spray arm(s) are deflected directly at the door as the door doesn't make an air tight seal.
Failing those, you're going to have to inspect it and locate *exactly* where the leak is origination. Often leaks will leave a trail or soap scum along it's path from above.
If you locate it and can't determine the cause let us know *along with the complete model number off the dishwasher* and we'll see if we can suggest something. You can find tips for locating the model and serial number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site lined below.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=KitchenAid+dishwasher
=~~~~~~
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Check and clean the door seals and the area of the dishwasher that they contact. Dirt in this area can keep the door from sealing properly and allow water to leak out.
-- Tony Karp, TLC Systems Corp Techno-Impressionist Museum: http://www.techno-impressionist.com TLC Systems: http://www.tlc-systems.com
Sometimes an item will stick down from the lower rack & keep the washer arm from moving (most common is a cutlery item sticking down past the bottom of the cutlery basket). This can cause the pressurized water to shoot up under the door & out the air vents in the door (if so equipped).
wrote:

allow
Check the hose connections under the dishwasher. We woke up to a puddle a couple of days in a row until we looked under there and saw that the hose had come loose.

My dishwasher started leaking sometimes. I found that it wasn't quite level, back to front. I leveled it, and it stopped leaking.