Dishwasher leads cloudy glasses.

Our Bosch dishwasher is leaving the glasses cloudy after a regular wash. We're using Calgon liquid soap.

Tried increasing water temp and changing soaps. No luck.

Also have a cloudy residue on the stainless steel door and body of the machine.

Anyone got any cures for this?

Thanks Ken

Reply to
bambam

Pour some vinegar in the DW before you run each load. Works great!

Reply to
RayV

I've never used vinegar and my glasses come out looking brand new every time.

Maybe something's in the water.

Reply to
JohnH

Try Ray's vinegar idea. If that doesn't work, does your machine have a place for adding wetting agent, like Jet Dry?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

After using liquid dishwasher liquid for quite awhile (with cloudy looking glasses), I switched to cascade complete (large green box, powder). I have had great results and am very satisfied.

Stephen R.

Reply to
S R

Vinegar would only be effective if the clouding were due to hard water. The residue on the door supports this theory. This seems to be a common tip.

One FAQ I saw suggests using more detergent than normal.

A water softner would likely solve the problem but at a high cost.

Reply to
PipeDown

I'm having no problems with Electrosol tabs, the ones with the Jet Dry globe stuck to them. I have moderately hard water, as our water authority calls it, so the Jet Dry helps quite a bit.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

We always had problems with this in our previous dish washer. Soaking glasses in almost boiling water with vinegar would remove the scale. After the dishwasher motor burned out three years ago we got a new, nothing special, plastic insides, Maytag and haven't had scaling since then.

Surprisingly scale can be caused by too hot water. also don't use excess dishwashing detergent as some glassware can be etched by strongly alkaline conditions.

From a web site: Scale and sludge may also occur due to chemical reactions producing less soluble compounds as in the decomposition of bicarbonate: Ca (HCO3)2 --------Heat---------> CaCO3 precipitate + H20 +CO2

Calcium carbonate is one of the most common components of scale and sludge in untreated boilers and cooling systems.

Reply to
Jeff

Is this for dishwashers? Use something for dishwashers.

Reply to
mm

Um ... I meant Cascade, not Calgon. (I'm a guy, it's all the same to me.)

I also finally got through to the Bosch web site (for some reason, couldn't get the manuals to open for a couple of days) ... and sure enough, you guys were right.

Too much soap. Especially with our hard water. Almost twice the recommended amount.

I'm feeling kinda sheepish and hoping a dishwasher is not classed as a power tool -- always been pretty good with power tools.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Ken.

Reply to
bambam

What I'm wondering now is whether the soap container had instructions on it, and what THEY suggested in terms of amount to use.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

25 ml max.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

Keep in mind the recomendations on the soap container are written by the folks making and selling soap. So they tend to tell you to use a lot more than you actually need which in turn keeps you buying more soap.

Reply to
twstanley

Just one more angle to add to this debate...

We had a similar problem with our dishwasher recently ? and guess what, it?s a build up of limescale. You can buy bottles of de-limescaler in Tesco/other supermarkets that you put in the dishwasher & then run through a wash cycle (without anything else in the dishwasher) to sort out the problem.

We had to buy 2 bottles and do 2 wash cycles to really sort it out ? though it?s not surprising since we?ve had the dishwasher for 2 years and hadn?t de-limescaled it once during that time!

Tesco do an own brand for about £2 a bottle, so it?s not too expensive if you?re only going to need on average about 1 a year (although the ?recommended? usage is 1 a month!). Or there are other named brands that are more expensive ? we tried one of each and couldn?t really tell any difference.

For future ref I will also bear in mind the info about putting too much soap in though!

:-)

Reply to
Vickster

Dishwashers are not a cheaper way to wash dishes only more convenient. We pay for that convenience and we pay more for performance.

Translation: If you want cleaner dishes, pay more money or work harder.

Reply to
PipeDown