Dishwasher - hot or cold water

Hi NG
Repaired an old dishwasher (Kitchenaid Imperial 21) that was in the house we moved into. Noted that it was connected to the cold water supply.
Have heard that it should be connected to hot.. Problem here is that there isnt very good pipe lagging between the HWS and machine itself. It would end up just warming the pipes! I note that machine also has a water heater.
What has been your experience? Is it worth using hot water at the input? Does the detergent for example not work too well and lower temps.
Cheers Bob

mine is connected to HOT water and it does have a water preheater in it
your better off runing a new PEX hot water line to the machine, its flexible and easy to do.
with cold water in it should work BUT the wash cycle will be forever to allow water time to get hot.
if your home water heater is gas this transfers the dishwasher to a poor electric heater.
with hot water the machine will clean better, cycly shorter and ths save you money and energy.
Every one I've ever seen was made to be hooked up to hot water of 125 degrees or higher. Most of them will heat the water on at least some of the cycles. But I'd be surprised if it did a good job cleaning hooked to a cold water line. If you look at the troubleshooting guide for any of them, you will see not having a water supply that is hot enough will be listed as a cause of poor cleaning.

My 24 y.o. Kenmore is connected to hot water, and also a heater.
When it wouldn't drain, and I was fixing it, and I kept putting it through the same parts of the ccyle over and over, while trying to figure out what was wrong, the water got so hot it caused a plastic salad bowl to bend, one that I had washed scores of times before wihout any bending.

My 2 year old Whirlpool specifies the water should be atleast 120 deg going into it.

Previous owner was an idiot. Always HOT. The hotter the better for cleaning and clear rinsing.
The pre-heater is used only during couple of cycles to boost the temperature, not to heat it all the way. FWIW, after 21 years don't spend a lot of $$ to repair it. DW have a life expectancy of about 15 so it is on borrowed time.