Dishwasher Functions Don't Advance Reliably

This is an old Sears Kenmore with a mechanical timer. The timer ticks merrily, but occasionally the functions don't advance properly (e.g. the function sticks on "drain.") You can always move things along by manually advancing the knob. Is the timer motor "lazy" or is this something else? Can the timer motor itself be replaced, or does the whole timer need to go? OR is there likely some way to clean or repair the motor/timer mechanism (assuming the gears and bearings may need lubrication for example.) Supposedly a new timer mechanism (with motor) can be purchased for about $105, but I'm reluctant if you think the old one can be fixed. Help much appreciated! Frank
Hi, I think it is worn out. You can have your rebuilt or exchange it for a rebuilt one from parts store. Think the gear train is not engaging tight. Tony
frank1492 wrote:

Sounds very possible- I will need to take it out to examine it. But who repairs/rebuilds dishwasher timers???????

Motors for timers are not usually available separately.

More likely gear(s) or cam(s) need to be replaced.

If you take it to a local appliance parts depot, they can usually send it away for repair. It can take a week to 10 days to get done.
*Be sure you mark where all the wires go* so you're able to reinstall the timer when it comes back from being fixed.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+dishwasher
=~~~~~~
Thanks. I will probably opt for a new one. I have a Sears dishwasher "guts" (motor, solenoid and timer) custom-installed on an old GE circa 1930's shell. I need this to go on forever!! Thanks to all for your help! Frank
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:49:39 -0500, "Dan O."

What's your time worth?
I spent one Sunday morning when a snow storm came up an cancelled my plans. I rebuilt that timer everyway possible, and it still didn't work better. Monday I bought a new one for $75 and was done. Usually a part has worn out and unless you're a retired machinest, get a new one.
dave