Dishwasher Flooded

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything via google. I have a GE Profile Dishwasher that leaked soap suds and water out the front. When I opened it, there is standing water in the bottom that didn't drain. Two questions.... 1) How do I get the water to drain? I know there is supposed to be some type of a water sensor but what does it look like and what should I do to it? 2) Do I need to pull the dishwasher out to make sure there isn't water underneath or behind it? I have laminate floors. I know the water leaked within a few hours ago because it wasn't there this morning and I just recently ran the dishwasher. Thanks for any help. I'm a newbie to DIY home stuff and am trying to decide if I can fix it or if I need to call a repairman.
Chatty
chatty wrote in message ...

That's probably why, dishwasher detergent shouldn't sudz. Maybe someone used the wrong detergent or you're using rinse aid in already soft water? Rinse aid should only be used in *hard* water.

Find the cause and correct it. If it is not just a kinked or plugged drain hose, other possibilities would depend on the *exact* model number off it. You can find tips for locating the model number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.

Any "sensor" would just be for temperature and would not usually have anything to do with it's draining.

Or at least remove the lower access panel and looking might be a good idea. You'll possibly have to get into that area to correct a draining problem anyway.

A repair manual like at the following link might go a long way to helping you do it yourself. JMO
http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc#68
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+GE+dishwasher
=~~~~~~

I added the same detergent that I've always used and have *very* hard water. But after running multiple rinse cycles, there are *still* suds! I've never seen anything like it.

Hmm, I checked the hose to see if it was kinked, I checked the air trap (I think that's what it's called) also. It seems to be draining okay now - just lots and lots of suds. I'll check your website out.

I thought there was something to detect the water level (maybe my terminology is wrong) and that if it was stuck, it wouldn't drain.

Did that and it allowed me to get all the water cleaned up. Reassured me that there wasn't major flooding or any water damage. In addition, I see droppings of some sort. Yuck. I guess now I need to get a mouse trap as well.

I'll check it out. Thank you! Chatty

chatty wrote in message ...

Maybe someone washed a plate or two first with regular had washing detergent then stuck them into the dishwasher to get them really clean without getting all the hand detergent off them first? Only you are going to be able to determine the cause of all the suds.
BTW. Salt on the suds will help to dissipate them and a bit of vegetable oil during a wash usually helps to eliminate any still in the water system.

Dishwashers fill for a set, predetermined length of time. There is a "float switch" which is there but only as a safety device to prevent over filling and flooding. It doesn't have anything to do with the draining of the appliance.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=GE+dishwasher
=~~~~~~

It's taken almost 24 hours but I finally figured it out! You were absolutely right - the suds were from dish soap. I correctly used cascade for the wash cycle but had also washed a dish scrubbing spong that has a plastic attachnment filled with dishsoap. I usually detach the plastic piece but forgot this time. It took five rinse cycles to get rid of the suds, but all seems to be fine now. Thank you for your input, I would have never figured it out.
Carina
Hi, Good for you! Since sponge is mentioned, zap it in the microwave from now and then. It gets rid of mush smell and kills germs. Nicely refresh the sponge pad. Try it, you'll like it. Tony
chatty wrote:

I'll try it! Sounds better than risking another dishwasher fiasco ;-) Chatty
Hello,

Might depend on the model#/style of your d/w....model# and some draining helps... http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html http://www.applianceaid.com/drain_wash.html#drain http://www.applianceaid.com/gedishdrain.html

Not normally.

Not normally.

Shoudln't be sudz inside the d/w....any chance someone used the wrong dish instead of dishwasher soap? Using the wrong soap will create leaks!! http://www.applianceaid.com/faq-dish.html#sudz http://www.applianceaid.com/dishleaks.html
jeff.
Hi, In which cycle did it happen? Wash, rinse? Did you hear washer running? Ssud? Put in a ordinarly dishwashing liquid(soap)? Dishwasher detergent never suds. There is a water level sensor inside a small plastic dome in the front corner. That float/switch stops water when water reaches at proper level. Tony

Yup, sure enough it was from dish soap. Got it all cleaned up and everything seems to be working fine! Thank you.
Dishwasher Soap while it does sud, Its not normal to have heavy sudding. 99% of all dishwasher leaks are due to using the dish detergent you would use for hand washing. If it doesnt say automatic detergent, dont use it. Ive found that the "electrosal" tablets also sud too much. At the grocery they sell "defoamer". This is found where the rental carpet cleaners are. Just put a half a cup in the washer and run it through a cycle. There is also a home remedy for defoaming. Perhaps someone else can give that info.

You guys helped me determine the problem was in fact dish soap. Got it de-foamed and all is well. Thanks!
Hi Chatty,
Dishwasher detergents do not suds. So if you had suds coming from the machine, someone put in a regular detergent or a hand dishwashing detergent. Simply let the machine set until the suds slowly dissipate then put the machine in the drain mode. If your sink sprayer hose is long enough to reach the dishwasher, spray some COLD water onto the suds which will reduce then and then once again have the machine drain two or three times.
Remember, Joy, Dawn, etc. are only made for hand dishwashing and will wreck havoc in a dishwasher. Use only Cascade, dishwasher All, etc.
Take care, Barry

I did in fact use Cascade, but washed a sponge that was filled with regular dishsoap. And boy did it wreck havoc. I had no idea such a small amount of soap could create so many suds. Thanks for the info. It saved me some money instead of panicking and placing a service call.