Dishwasher filling with water after no use

I've noticed a few times in the last week that I'll open the dishwasher and see quite a bit of water pooled in the bottom of the machine. If you push the "Drain" button, it will run through the drain cycle and get rid of that water. But you may come back the next morning and see water pooled up again.

Any idea what it causing this and/or how I could go about repairing it?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
sffleague

IFF you mean that, AFTER it runs, and is OFF, it successfully drained out all or most of the water out, and it still looks OK after say 5 minutes, but then a few or several hours later it will have a lot of water in it, then you have a problem with the water shut-off valve, which is operated by a solenoid in the machine. The solenoid isn't very likely a problem - it's just not closing off the water completely, sort of like a leaky faucet. The longer time period, the more water there wil be.

The valve/solenoid is one unit, and not very hard to replace, but you'll have to pull off the front kick panel and get the unit out of the cabinet where you can get at the underside easily. It's definitely a diy job unless something unexpected pops up.

While you're in there, if you're connected to the water supply with rubber hose, you might want to replace that too, along with the drain hose if it's rubber.

Be CVERTAIN to unplug it before you touch it! There is exposed voltage inside the kick panel.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Paper plates work.....

Reply to
Rick Shaw

Hi,

If the water is fairly clean, the fill valve may not be 100% shutting off and is dripping in some water all the time = new fill valve time. If the water is dirty, possible it is comming into the d/w from the drain....most dishwasher models have a valve to help prevent this from happening but your make/model ( what ever that is ) may not.

fill valve helps if needed.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:44:51 -1000 Rick Shaw posted:

I tried them, but the dishwasher seemed to ruin them.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Sounds like the fill valve has some debris in it. Fairly easy to take apart and clean the seat area. Possible damaged O-rings / seals. Not expensive to replace the whole thing. Turn off the water under the sink or behind the DW, cycle it for a short time to bleed off pressure, place a rag under the connection under the kick plate to catch the residual water. Pull the valve out after noting where any connections go. (Make a diagram if you can't remember) Take the body screws out and disassemble the valve and clean it and inspect for damage. Reassemble and reinstall. Fire it up and check for leaks. I had to do this sometimes after repiping a house with old galvanized pipes. Washing machines are the same, just two inlets instead of one on the valve. There should be a debris screen on the inlet side. Good Luck.

Reply to
Inspector D