Dishwasher door seal keeps coming off

We have a Kitchenaid dishwasher, about 2 years old. The door seal comes out almost every time we open the door.

I know I can buy a new one for about $25 (rip-off!), but will that help? What causes it to fit so loosely?

Reply to
Mitch

Hi,

No model# posted but some of these gaskets are being glued into place to help hold them in the correct spot...

silicone adhesive, specially formulated for use in the dishwasher

The gasket originaly is just a pressure fit into the track...some of the new repalcement gaskets now come with the adhesive.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

The model is Kitchenaid KUDS01DJBT0.

Thanks!

Reply to
Mitch

Hi,

That gasket does appear to be one of the troubel makers....just a foam style gasket pushed into place.

gasket kit

Say's "kit"....maybe it comes with the adhesive as well, you may have to ask them...but if yours is ok you may just want the adhesive mentioned only :)

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Thanks for the link!

Reply to
Mitch

This is from a service bulletin:

------------- KitchenAid Dishwasher Model: KUD-01 Serial Code Dates: FK32 to FL31

CONDITION: Door seal dislodged from the tub channel when door is opened upon completion of a cycle.

CAUSE: This condition may occur because of manufacturing variation of the tub channel or the dishwasher being misaligned when installed.

CORRECTION: The door seal and tub plugs have been redesigned to provide a tighter fit in the tub channel and to better align the door to the tub. Order and install a Door Seal Kit, Part #8193709. The kit will include a new door seal, adhesive and tub plugs, along with detailed instructions on proper installation.

NOTE: Check to ensure that the new tub plugs DO NOT rub on the inner door panel as the door is opened or closed. If they do, the dishwasher tub is racked and the dishwasher is improperly installed. The leveling legs MUST be adjusted to center the door in the tub opening.

-------------

You can see the current replacement for that kit at the following link:

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Wow...thanks. So, Kitchenaid won't replace this for free? I have to buy it? Where can I find that service bulletin? I'd like to at least call the store where I bought the dishwasher and try to get them to give it to me.

Reply to
Mitch

You'd have to check with KitchenAid. If it is over the one year warranty period against failure of "material or workmanship" (as usually stated in your warranty papers), I wouldn't think they are required to.

Any KitchenAid or Whirlpool authorized factory service depot should have a copy.

That's between you and the store but they aren't responsible for the appliance's warranty, the manufacturer is.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

In some of the newer Kitchenaid models the silverware basket lives along the far wall of the lower rack rather than in the front as is the case with the more traditional models. If any cutlery, spatulas etc lean against the outer wall its easy to catch the door seal as you pull out the lowe rack. Seems like a real design flaw

Reply to
Norm Schroder