Dishwasher - don't rinse first?

Have seen lately publicity for new dishwashers that actually WANT the user to not rinse off particlate matter before placing item in DW. They seem to claim that the DW is actually DESIGNED to work better with a lil' bit of schmutz.

I can see catering to very lazy people by not requiring rinsing before insertion, but redesigning the whole thing for them?

This sounds nuts to me. Is it true? If so, is there a solid technical reason why the DW is so designed?

TIA

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I don't know about the "schmutz" factor nor your laziness claim, but Consumer Reports says it's about the energy that's wasted when pre-rinsing.

Not only do you waste water (6000 gallons per year?) but you waste the energy required to heat it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

People that know you don't need to rinse are "lazy"? You're weird.

Rinsing dishes before loading the dishwasher can do more harm than good.

Today's advanced detergents are designed to attack food particles left on dishes. "If there isn't food soil, they tend to attack glasses," says Edwards. "Some glasses are more susceptible to this kind of attacking than others."

Sounds a little fishy to me. But rinsing when you don't need to is a waste of time, water, and energy.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Are you taking lessons from Stormy?

Why can't we get back to leaving posts that are actually relevant to a.h.r. alone and just answer the question? Why does every thread have to end up as a bashing of one political side or the other?

We have the OT designation, why not use that for non-a.h.r comments?

My leaf blower was acting funny and almost immediately the thread turned into an Obama and Reganomics discussion thanks to Stormy. Here's a question about a DW feature and the thread immediately turns into a liberal bashing.

OK, we get it, some of you guys have strong feelings. It used to be that the threads could get some legs and some advice actually offered before they went off track. Lately it seems that the very first responses are completely irrelevant to the question asked.

Yeah, yeah, I know...if I don't like it I can leave. I'm aware of that option, so no need to offer it up.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hi, We never rinse plates or whatever. To waste water? DW does the cleaning. that is why we use DW. Don't we?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Schmutz is a noun slang meaning dirt, filth, garbage, or something similar. BTW - the Hope and Change thing is working out just fine for me and many others.

Reply to
IGot2P

BS

Stolen without permission from

"The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to serve several billion users worldwide. It is a network of networks that consists of millions of private, public, academic, business, and government networks, of local to global scope, that are linked by a broad array of electronic, wireless and optical networking technologies."

Nothing in that definition even remotely explains the rationale behind someone reading a simple home repair related question and responding with comment in which they either express their own political views or bash someone else's.

My question goes unanswered, but you know what? I'm not really looking for an answer. I just hoping that perhaps I can plant a seed that might make people think twice before hijacking a thread right from the get-go.

I've been reading a.h.r since the ?80?s. Others have been here even longer. Back in the day, a.h.r. questions were responded to with relevant suggestions and advice using essentially same internet that we use today. You can't blame it on a technology, you can only blame it on people. It's people who decide what to type and it's people who decide whether to hit send or not.

DerbyDad03

Sounds more like marketing to me.

Reply to
krw

[...snip....]

Derby, my man, these people's song consists of one note and one note alone. They are poorly informed, not well-educated, but that doesn't bother them ; their thing is to react rather than think --on a kindergarten level.

Hah, Derby, this cohort, instead of disregarding the few OTs that show up -

- which is precisely the purpose of the designation -- actively seek them out so they can [select verb with sexual nuance] the author for posting an OT. It would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic.

Despair not, Derby-kins -- the pitiful ideologs do seem to dominate ahr, bu t in fact we are blessed with solid professionals and high-level DIYers who give careful, nuanced advice.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Derby,

I think the problem here is that you are not using your kill file to full advantage.

Before your reply I had no idea this thread had gone off the rails like so many others.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Right, new DW do not need rinsing. They have soft food disposals built in so most anything can go in. Personally, I do give the worst of the dishes a quick pssst under the faucet, but that's about it. Maybe the dirt bits act as an abrasive like a sandblaster?

Two weeks ago I installed a new KitchenAid. My last one was good, this one is great. I use the "Pro Wash" ccle and the sensors determine the cycle. Everything comes out perfect and sparkles. They should at the cost of the better machines.

One caution. Do not fill the detergent cup all the way. You don't need that much.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As I'm sure you are aware, your situation is not what the "do not pre-rinse" instruction apply to.

In any case, have you you figured out whether or not a rinse only cycle would use less energy than your sink rinse? That's also what some DW manuals suggest, but of course it depends on how many dishes you are rinsing. For one plate and a glass, the sink probably is better.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

ser to not rinse off particlate matter before placing item in DW. They see m to claim that the DW is actually DESIGNED to work better with a lil' bit of schmutz.

insertion, but redesigning the whole thing for them?

reason why the DW is so designed?

Ed, speaking of detergent cups, what do you -- and others -- think of these little "pillows" -- presumably containing both detergent and film-removal (can't think of proper term) which are inserted in the detergent cup. They take the place of powdered detergent in its cup and liquid [whatsitcalled) in its reservoir.

I got a box of them at Costco which is lasting a long time. They are somew hat more expensive, but very convenient and seem to be doing the job for me .

Your opinion?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

For years, I've used Cascade gel and it works well. KitchenAid though, recommends using the Cascade pillows like you have, but they still recommend using a rinse aid in the dispenser. The samples worked well and I may switch once I use up what we have.

I have to wonder though, it they want you to use them for superior cleaning or if there is some sort of financial arrangement. They also tell you to use Affresh once in a while to clean out the machine. So does Maytag washers now and it is made by Whirlpool.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've never rinsed dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. They come out nice and clean. It seems to me people that wash them are wasting their time and hot water/energy, doing unnecessary work. I just scrape off anything large, that's it.

On the other hand, I've seen people who practically wash the dishes clean by hand before putting them in the dishwasher. That's nuts to me.

I'd say it's more than a little fishy. The vast majority of dishes are only going to have food on a small portion of the surface. To rely on food covering the dishes to prevent damage would be nuts.

+1
Reply to
trader4

I only run the dishwasher here every few days. I don't rinse by hand or run a rinse cycle. No problems with the dishwasher not cleaning everything just fine. The only thing I will do is if I have something exceptional, like raw egg in a mixing bowl or cake batter, then I will rinse that off by hand first. But regular dishes, utensils, etc go in without rinsing and when run a couple days later, they come out fine.

Reply to
trader4

That was what I learned when I bought one a few years ago. They recommend not scraping. That had no impact on the Significant Other who insists on prewashing. I just shove them in unless they're just too icky; then I also rinse them. They usually come out fine without being pre-rinsed.

Reply to
dgk

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.aioe.org:

Our "pre-rinse" cycle is to set the dishes on the floor for the dog to lick clean. Dishes emerge from the dishwasher sparkling.

Reply to
Doug Miller

ck clean. Dishes emerge from the dishwasher sparkling.

Darn it! If we could just teach the CAT to do that! But he is SO picky ab out his food! I think he actually has a food neurosis. He can have a full dish of chow plus a dish of canned food sitting right there. But he will come back to the office, jump on my computer keys and otherwise become a nu isance until I give up & go out to the kitchen to perform the ceremonial ac t of adding a few grains to his dish. Thus served, the Prince will condesc end to eat.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

that! But he is SO picky about his food! I think he actually has a food neurosis. He can have a full dish of chow plus a dish of canned food sitting right there. But he will come back to the office, jump on my computer keys and otherwise become a nuisance until I give up & go out to the kitchen to perform the ceremonial act of adding a few grains to his dish. Thus served, the Prince will condescend to eat.

Has Prince ever lived in New Orleans? How does Prince vote, each November? Does Prince have any bumper stickers, like Obama 2012?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon