dishwasher clog

I am considering buying a used home (about 7 years old) and noticed the GE dishwasher holding water. It seem to run fine after trying it but I tried for about 15 minutes moving the knob slowly but I could not even hear the water trying to drain. Ideally I should let it go thru the entire cycle but I didn't want to wait in a vacant home to find out. No water was leaking out of the dishwasher tho. I've since returned about 3 days later to find the same amount of water in the dishwasher but this time I didn't try to run it. Any advice how to unclog it myself if after letting it run the entire cycle get the same result? I don't have any literature and I hope running the entire cycle doesn't make it leak out the door???
<observer> wrote in message >I am considering buying a used home (about 7 years old) and noticed

You probably missed hitting the spot to start the draining. Could be something simple like a plugged line or the solenoid not opening.
observer wrote:

Under the skirt of the DW there is sometimes a valve and a lever you can move back and forth to free up any clog. Its not easy to find, its just where all the junk and debris settles. Look for the low spot inside the DW and making the corresponding measurement to underneath and that's usually where it is.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

pay a few hundred and get a home inspection, it will save you money, they will likely find all sorts of troubles, that will lower home price.
observer wrote:

We had leaks coming from our d.w., so called repair (we have a maint. contract). Not easy to believe, but accumulated detergent caused the water to bubble too much and that interfered with the d.w. draining. The cure was to pour in about a quart of white vinegar and run it through a cycle. We had some trouble with kitchen drain after grinding up something in the disposal - I can't remember just what happened, but plunging the drain caused the d.w. to leak............if the vinegar trick doesn't work, perhaps something has backed up?