Dishwasher causing window condensation

Hi all, I work hard at eliminating causes of window condensation--always run the fan in the shower, etc.

But there's one problem I haven't solved--excessive condensation on windows caused by running the dishwasher. Every single time I run the dishwasher after dinner, I find a lot of moisture on the windows--so much that the window sill gets wet. I want to stop that before the sill rots and gets moldy. It's not a portable dishwasher, so I can't move it to a better location.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Steven D. Litvintchouk

Do your dishes by hand......

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Is it all the windows or just the ones near the dishwasher?

If it is just the one(s) near the dishwasher, I suggest getting a small fan and placing it near the dishwasher and turning it one when you are washing the dishes. If all the windows are doing it, then maybe you need to check the humidity in your home. If it is not excessive, then maybe you need better insulated windows.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Open the window?

Reply to
jstp

Steve,

You might want to try running the range vent hood while running the dishwasher. Might exhaust enough of the moisture to correct the problem. Depends how close the two are.

PS - Must be nice to have such a tight house! (Our 130 year old farmhouse definitely doesn't have this problem! )

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!)

Amos 4:13

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Actually, that's a good idea. I live alone, I only need a few dishes to cook meals for myself, and a dishwasher is a luxury I can live without.

Reply to
Steven D. Litvintchouk

----------------- It IS a good idea, but it's besides the point, as neither of you is even trying to answer the poster's question. Why is that? I'm not being a smart-alec, I'm just curious as to why you both feel compelled to reply with a non-sequitor instead of actually trying to help out the poster.

That being said, I don't have any good advice for the poster either, so I guess I'm being just as useless as you two.

Reply to
Abe

Most homes are so dry in the winter they would welcome the added moisture and never see it on the window.

To eliminate the condensation, you must eliminate the cause. Either warm the window, cool the air, or move moist the air from the room.

Do you have a storm window? Can you vent the kitchen during the washing/drying time? Either crack the window open or run an exhaust fan?

If other rooms of the house are drier, blow some air from the kitchen to the other room.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Most heavy condensation caused by dishwashers is from the drying cycle. There is normally a vent on the dishwasher that opens during the drying cycle to allow the humidity to escape so the dishes will dry.

This can be eliminated by setting your dishwasher on energy saver, or air dry mode. The dishes will take longer to dry, but you should eliminate most of the condensation.

It's also possible that the mechanism for opening your exhaust vent on the dishwasher is malfunctioning in the open position which will not only humidify your house, but decrease your washing efficiency and use more energy by allowing the heat and humidity to escape from the tub during the wash cycle.

Hope this helps!

Reply to
Greg S

Replying with a non sequitor is as useful as putting moldy bread in the carbeurator of your snow mobile.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Because this isn't the "fix my house" helpdesk. It's an online coversation between a few hundred people with a nominal interest in home repair. And like any other conversation, it wanders. When people start PAYING for advice, then they've got reason to expect people to stay on point.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

------------- That is sooo weak a rationalizxation as to be humorous.