Dishwasher brand advise

Anyone care to report reliability experience of newer (<5years) DW's? I was considering the Maytag but some say the quality has declined significantly in the last 5 years. I am just looking for a basic unit without the electronic touch pads.

Our Maytag DW just passed 4 years old without any problems. It does a fine job, is very quiet, and does not have the electronic keypad. In the house we owned before we built this one, we had a Maytag dishwasher which was about 4 years old when we moved out, and it gave us no problems.
Dave
(with possible editing):

A negative report. We had an old Kitchen Aid which was great (20 years old) which we replaced with a new, top-of-the-line Kitchen Aid. It functions, but barely, have had multiple problems and their authorized repair folks can't fix it. Lots of plastic parts that were metal in the old one. Kitchen Aid refuses to give me sufficient information to fix it myself (I'm an engineer - I think I'm smart enough to figure it out) so we're going to replace it.
From what I've heard here, the best seem to be Bosch or Miehle. They're expensive, but apparently quiet and reliable.
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com

Dave Harnish

Mine installed in 2001 looks a lot like the one it replaced. No major problems with it, so far.
The quality has declined because they are now made in Mexico. They recently closed their plant near Galesburg, Illinos. The guy in the tv commercial no longer wil have to sit for hours waiting for a service call,

I don't believe where something is made has a guaranteed relationship to quality. It all depends on the design, materials and quality control.
That's right. I know of a campany that outsourced some of their cable manufacture to Mexico. When a problem occurred, everyone was quick to blame the plant in Mexico. However, when all of the data was analyzed, the problem was in the US based plant that made the parts that eventially went to Mexico.
Chris Hill wrote:

I bought a new Maytag 4 or 5 years ago. It's very quiet, cleans nicely. My only complaint is that every once in a long while it will stop mid-cycle (as if the power went out). The only solution is to start over from the beginning...