Dishwasher Basics

How does my dishwasher know when the wash cycle is complete and all of the water is drained? All the water is draining from mine but the drain solenoid stays on and the drain cycle doesn't end.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
stevenhg

Theres a float, that trips a switch telling the timer to advance. try jigling the float it may be stuck or could be a bad timer

Reply to
hallerb

Theres a float, that trips a switch telling the timer to advance. try jigling the float it may be stuck or could be a bad timer

Reply to
hallerb

Hi, Most appliances are based on logical sequence be it electrical or mechanical. On dishwasher there needs a signal when tub is empty. Usually this signal comes from a switch actuated by a float on the front corner of tub(usually). Maybe that switch is sticky or not properly adjusted? Remember sequencial logic.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Others have mentioned the float. If you find that it's not moving smoothly and you suspect mineral buildup, check the grocery store for a product made for cleaning the insides of dishwashers. I don't recall the name, but if I recall, it's made by the company that makes the blue stuff that keeps glassware from drying with spots - Jet Dry.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I've replaced the pump/motor, piston valve, air gap, and disposal, checked all drain hoses, and checked both the drain solenoid switch and the float switch.

When I simply put the main drain hose into a bucket (to test operation) the D/W works perfectly. It moves from cycle to cycle with no indications of problems. The drain solenoid releases at just the right time.

When I connect the drain hose to the air gap/ disposal, the D/W still visually drains completely (in a very short period of time) but the BLOCKED DRAIN light comes on about 1 minute after the water visibly stops draining into the sink/disposal. In this mode I can see that the drain solenoid is still powered and does not release the drain solenoid switch. I can reset the D/W by disconnecting power and starting over but the same thing happens at the end of the first drain cycle.

My sense is that this could be a timer problem but why do things work perfectly when the drain line goes into a bucket. It almost appears that 'something' senses the additional 'back pressure' caused by the airgap and disposal. I am 100% sure the air gap and disposal are ok (the disposal knock out plug is out and is not the issue).

What else could cause this problem? Thanks for any help you could provide.

Reply to
stevenhg