Dishwasher and dog

Page 1 of 2
I've owned a piece of crap Maytag dishwasher for just over a year. I've had 4 service calls so far because it doesn't clean well. I leave residue on dishes -- particularly on glasses on top shelf.
Each time the service man found dog hair in the filter that covers the grinder. He says that's to blame. It makes no sense to me. Yes we have a hairy dog but we aren't the only ones who do. So I'm left with the following questions.
1. Why do that have a very fine filter BEFORE the grinder. It's so small that nothing of substance could ever be ground.
2. Would it hurt to remove the filter? What's the worst that could happen -- the impeller gets matted up with hair?
3. Has anyone else had this problem.
4. Is their a cure other than just getting rid of it -- the dishwasher, not the dog.
I see no reason to wash dishes BEFORE putting them in the dishwasher go get everything off of them that's bigger than a grain of sand.

Residue is from water quality, try different soaps or a softner. Dogs should not be washed in the dishwasher, plates should not go on the floor and should be rinsed of food and dog hair first. How do you get hair in a dishwasher, I have 3 that shed like falling leaves and never had that issue.

In the dishwashers I've seen, the filter is there to filter the water while it's being recirculated, collecting any particles. Then, when the pump out begins, water is drawn from BEFORE the filter, taking whatever collected there and sending it out through the grinder.
I would think hair could present a problem, because unlike the expected food particles, it might get embedded in the filter so it won't easily wash out. I guess I'm wondering how any significant amount of dog hair can get in there to begin with. If you're putting dog feeding dishes in there, the obvious solution is to wash those by hand.
Have you called the Maytag helpline to ask them?
i can't imagine how the rest of the house looks if your actually getting DOG HAIR in the dishwasher. Jeeeezzzeee.... shave that MF!!

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

dishwasher. There's a joke about the dog called Cold Water, where old man said dishes were washed by cold water.
"Frank" wrote

I'm sure it is a troll.

I'm sure I'm not a troll and you're a moron. I've been on-and-off hold for about an hour with Maytag. They say you should completely rinse EVERY dish that goes in the dishwasher. So why bother to have the darn thing?
We've had dogs for 30+ year and never had a problem with the DW and hair. Nor have I ever heard of anyone else with that problem. I can only imagine your house is a hairy mess or you get a slobbering hairy dog lick the plates clean first and hair sticking on them. Thank you for not inviting me for dinner at your place. Find the real problem and quit blaming Maytag.
The OP should quit sticking his hairy butt into the machine.
"Pat" wrote

Thank you. At least I dont have dog hair clogs in my dishwasher and i have a dog and a cat (medium to long hair) and have had cats for neigh on 20 years now (long hairs) as well as maytags for diswashers. I do not pre-rinse my dishes unless its pet bowl stuff.

don't make them like that one anymore) told me to always rinse the dishes off regardless of the brand or model. He said there is not a dishwasher on the market that can handle washing the dishes and eliminating the food too.
I replaced the KA with a cheap GE (on his advice) and it's works perfectly.
BTW: We only replaced the KA because the parts are getting expensive and hard to find. The new KA's are not the same. They are good but not worth the money.
We always pre-clean and use that time to get the water hot for the washer.
We have soft water too and I think that helps too.
How in the world someone gets dog hair in their dw is beyond me??!!
Olddog

I'm on the fourth KA in about 40 years. Each is better than the previous. Present one is four years now, not a problem and the only less than perfect dish was a couple of times they were not loaded properly and water could not get to the surface. Only rinsing is a quick psst under the water to get big stuff off, or if it is not going to run right away to get any potential smelly stuff off.
Never had a dog hair clog either.
wrote in message

know they got sold out. The guy said they are still good. If I had extra cash I would of got one. But I could buy 4 or 5 GE's for the price of one KA.
The GE works well and is very quite. $380.00. ;-) We have one of those open designed living/dining/kitchen area so quite was a priority.
Olddog
"olddog" wrote

I think it's a matter of level. I dont have much on them but grease etc by the time they go in there. I dont exactly pre-wash them, but a little rinsing before adding, yes.

Dishwashers are one of the things wit a fairly short life expectancy. I gather 7 years is some sort of average but we've been lucky I guess as most seem to last about 11 for us.

Dunno, but it sounds too odd to be true to me.
The last time I got dog hair in my dishwasher, I tried to wash my dog in there. The new dishwasher works better, and I don't have many dreams as often of the dog screaming ..........
Steve

Just kidding...don't call social services

Tip: they can only call social services if you turn it ON. Just say the kid was playing, and got locked in. If there's water in there, they know someone turned it on from the outside. An hour or so in there gives them a lot of time to reflect and readjust. And if it don't, the next time, just the threat will get them to be good.
For a while, anyway. After that, there's always dark basements, sheds, and other isolation attitude adjustment booths. Read 1984. Everyone has their biggest fear.
Just kidding. But it works.
Steve

Rat cage strapped to the head. I'll think about it. Hmmmm... "You want something to cry about!"
That would make everything else seems pretty damn good.
Olddog
On Dec 8, 10:45am, "Steve Barker DLT"

Better yet Nair Hair Remover, instant Hairless dog.
snipped-for-privacy@artisticphotography.us (Pat) writes:
| I've been on-and-off | hold for about an hour with Maytag. They say you should completely | rinse EVERY dish that goes in the dishwasher.
This is the kind of thing you should ask to get in writing... so you can sell it to the competition for their advertising campaigns...
Dan Lanciani wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@artisticphotography.us (Pat) writes:

I thought it was Maytag that has a commercial where they put a chocolate cake and a frozen pizza in the dishwasher, and the glasses come out spotless.
Bob