dishes have white film on them

Portable dishwasher working well until last week or so, then suddenly dishes coming out otherwise clean but with a white film. We have a water softener and what I believe to be a whole house water filter.

I suspect the water softener, because around the time this problem started the low salt light was flashing and it was a day or two before I managed to get some salt. After a couple loads of dishes coming out filmy, I had the mister look in the manual for a troubleshooting guide, but it wasn't really informative enough to be helpful. He did notice on the panel that it was set for whatever the stuff is some people put in that's not salt, so we switched it back. I assume it got set wrong while fiddling with it to enter the new salt level. Anyway, even after changing it back to being set for salt, the dishes are still coming out filmy.

So maybe it's not the softener, but the filter? It's probably due to be changed, even so, would it cause this problem? I've done tons of laundry lately due to a gastro-intestinally ill toddler and have not noticed any issues with the laundry.

Any ideas or advice on this matter will be appreciated. We bought this hosue int he fall and all these appliances and machines are new to use, which is why we don't have a clue.

Thanks.

Karen

Reply to
dkhedmo

First try running it with no dish washer soap in it with some already clean plates in it to see if it might be a soap vs. a water issue. If still filmy without soap; then you might suspect the rinse cycle possibly.

Reply to
avid_hiker