Dish TV

Yes, but out cable company sucks even more. DTV is still better. I think every cable company and SAT company is on the crap list for complaints.

Now that you bring it up, I just sent an email to complain about the sports fee. I told them to eliminate the fee and the sports channels. I don't watch them and I don't want to subsidize them. Wonder what the reply will be.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've been through a few snowy winters, thunderstorms and heavy rain. In one rain storm, I had some pixilation for a few minutes. My cable company used to drop out when the humidity was more than 25%.

Even in a blizzard with 70 mph gusts and 28" snowfall, no loss of signal.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a satellite dish. The LNB (bit in the middle of the dish) is an amplifier/frequency changer device powered from the TV/Adaptor box.

If you want more than one TV you can get an LNB with multiple outlets, I have seen up to four,

You will need to decide what satellite to point your dish at.

You can get an el-cheapo satellite meter to detect the signals and set up your own dish very cheaply. Almost impossible to do this by guesswork/trial and error. The dish setting is very critical.

You will have to find out what size dish you need. The further North you are, the bigger dish you need (further from geo- stationary satellites).

You will then beable to receive hundreds of channels. Even Al quaeda has a channel (Aljazeera). Chinese Japanese French Brit German Russian. All in English. Makes a change from the Hollywood/Fox News lies. See some different lies.

Snow on the dish/LNB can cause a signal problem if it freezes on .

Reply to
harry

BTW there are both free and encoded (pay) channels. The pay is only slightly more interesting.

The footprint of the satellite is pretty tight these days, if you want something exotic, you need a really big dish.

There are ways to illegally break encoded channels too.

There are good documentaries/news on free foreign channels (usually with an agenda.)

Reply to
harry

Another thing. You get get arrays with multiple LNBs that can work off more then one satellite. A bit more difficult to set up.

Also you an can dish motor drives to move the dish from one satellite to another. Then instead of a hundred channels of s**te, you can get thousands.

Reply to
harry

true, of the 880+ channels they tout we watch around 12 channels. you cannot believe how irritating it is to keep stumbling over shpping, sports, and ?? excuses to have cameras on some idiot. At least it's possible to make up a 'personal' list, to make the TV Guide short.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Being able to add and delete channels on the list could be improved if they would allow you to just delete a channel from the lineup without having to go in to a menu mode to do it. The remote should just have a delete button.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I have the 722 also. and another one (522?) without the DVR, connected to my ReplayTV

The RF out from the converter will feed as many TVs as you want with 2 channels (tuner 1 and 2) Tuner 2 runs from an RF remote that will punch through walls. They output on separate TV RF channels that you can select. I have both Dish boxes, the replay and an agile modulator from a PC joined together going up to the "house cable" that Comcast used to use so each remote TV gets 6 channels (2 tuners from 2 satellites boxes, ch3 out from the Replay and another channel from the PC. On the 2 "tuner 2" dish channels73 &75, the RF remotes will allow you to look at any dish channel. 77&79 are the 2 dish channels controlled by the IR remotes. Ch 3 is whatever the replay has doing and 68 is the PC output

I also bought an OTA module on Ebay for $30 that gets all of the local channels, shows up in the Dish program guide and records normally on the DVR. There does not seem to be a limit to the number of locals you can record at the same time. I have had 3 going here some nights along with 2 dish channels.

Reply to
gfretwell

My Mom and mother in law have FIOS for TV, telephone, and Internet. Last year during hurricane Sandy when the power went out (for two weeks) the internet and TV service auto shut down at the demarc box in the house so as not to tax the little 7 amp hour back up battery used for phone service. That little battery lasted less than a day using it for the telephone only. Cellphone service was down, so no telephone service of any type for them until the power was turned back on two weeks later. Verizon also has been a pain in neck in getting the monthly bill straight. They kept "forgetting" what each had signed up for and what discounts and promos they had, requiring a monthly phone call to their billing people every month to straighten it out.

Reply to
Steve Stone

DTV thinks the only reason people sign up for service is for sports. I have no need for any of the sports stations or the holy rollers or the non stop infomercials. Get rid of them all and save some bandwidth.

Reply to
Steve Stone

DTV keeps moving channels around and changing the lineup and the channel names change, making it difficult to keep the guide configured for what you prefer.

Reply to
Steve Stone

I don't think Verizon service has ever been very good. I was having repeated problems with their old copper lines and sometimes it would take a week to fix. Don't think service is better with FIOS. I've got a generator so the FIOS line and battery put in to replace the copper would not be a problem. Comcast service is somewhat better and apparently less problem to get initial offers reinstated when they expire.

Reply to
Frank

I think that is just aging infrastructure and no incentive to fix it. When Sprint was providing dial tone here they did an extensive build out with fiber a backbone in the ground and buried new copper to the Dmark at the house. Our POTS is rock solid now and it is Comcast that is the one that is down all the time. I ditched cable years ago for Dish and DSL but my wife still has it at the club and it still sucks.

Reply to
gfretwell

I had FIOS, for phone and internet:( TV hadnt rolled out yet. Phone had troubles that took 3 months to fix, finally traced to a bad router at their central office, the back up battery failed at 3 monts old, they wanted me to pay for a new battery.. I refused and finally got a new one, topok 2 weeks of their box alarming . in a new fios served area the calls, salespeople visits at dinner time and junk mail approaches harrasement. I was under contract and they said its against company policy to let you out even if the service doesnt work...... when my contract was up I dropped fios and moved my remaining lines back to copper. sent them registered letters to quit calling me to sell me anything......

it was peaceful for awhile and the calls started again so I dropped my business line outgoing call package. the idiots cancelled my business line twice..

So I dropped everything verizon and had a lawyer send them a letter to never contact me again...

When the calls and sales visits started again, I called and complained loudly to have all the fios stuff and copper removed, or I would cut it down myself.

They dragged their feet but did finally remove it, the tech said others were having theirs removed too.

the verizon road techs were great but their office staff sucks, are unfriendly and abusive....

verizon wired is shrinking bad one day they will sell off the rest of the the wired side.....

a geat example of rotten service, be on the phone with a rep, at 5pm the phones automatically get shut off.......

Reply to
bob haller

my comcast phone has been rock solid, and so has the tv and internet

Reply to
bob haller

I've only had DTV for about a year but I haven't noticed any channels change. Maybe I just don't watch "The Bait Network" or "The Infomercial Network" so don't notice those changes.

Reply to
krw

So you can pay more?

Reply to
krw

I've always believed that Verizon still maintains that old telephone mentality where they were a monopoly and the only game in town, take it or leave it. Their customer service sucks.

I also tried to get off their junk mail list but I still get at least one letter a week from them trying to get me to convert fully to FIOS.

I had a horrible time with AT&T several years ago where they cancelled my service on my business line due to an unpaid long distance bill. Phone was in my house but bill was paid by a company I consult for. When they called me, they refused to talk to me because they wanted to talk to the person responsible for the bill. It was maddening. They harassed me to the point of considering taking them to magistrates court but when I asked the court about suing on a federal law they referred me to the state ag's office who got them to stop. I cancelled their service on my home phone line and cancelled my credit card with them. Afterwards they kept dunning me with letters to restart the service and they would give me $40. AT&T was clueless and so is their offspring, Verizon, as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
Frank

Steve Stone wrote in news:aVUet.5093$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe07.iad:

This pertains to Dish Tv, how???

Reply to
ktos

since tv is now bundled with phone and internet, and fios can provide all 3.

its on topic and all related

Reply to
bob haller