dish rack beside kitchen sink

Page 1 of 3
My wife says that the disk rack that's basically plastic wrapped around stiff metal wire is chipping off causing the metal to begin to rust. She says that she replaces these racks like every 3 or 4 years. Any suggestions how to repair it or is there a disk rack that won't rust and last much longer? I think she mentioned bamboo but I prefer non-wood unless no choice.

Buy her a dishwasher and eliminate the rack. Saves water and dishes are more sanitary.
If you must, it can be fixed with a plastic material used to dip tool handles. Just apply and let set, repeat if needed. Or buy an all plastic one.
We've had dishwashers for the past 40 years or so and have not needed a drying rack since. Go ahead, treat the lady.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You still need a dish rack, there will always be hand was items and other things that need a rack to rest on and dry.

Replacing a rack every 3-4 years is what, $2.50 per year? There are stainless racks available for a bit more $.

I can't imagine how you wouldn't. I certainly need one even with a dishwasher.
On 2/1/2013 3:49 AM, Pete C. wrote:

I have dishwasher and use a mat or a dish towel next to the sink for hand-wash items. Only two of us here, so not a lot of dishwashing, and prior to having a dishwasher I had learned to pile record amounts of dishes in the rack :o) I had never liked dishwashers until moving to our new place...soft water, nice dishwasher, spotless dishes. It had always seemed that loading/unloading dw was more work than it was worth.

It may be more work than t's worth, but as long you do full loads and don't rinse them clean before using the dishwasher, you save lots of water using a DW vs. handwashing..
On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 11:49:45 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
-snip-

I would say *especially* with the new models with an 'eco' mode. My new 'middle-of-the-line' Whirlpool has a 'sensor' mode. that quits washing when the dishes are clean.
It does a better job in 1/2 the time of the old one. [also a whirlpool- from the 80s]
I'm assuming it uses a lot less water- but I never measured either one. I *know* the old one used less than I did when I was doing them by hand-- and it did a better job than I did from the first day I wore glasses. Jim
On 2/1/2013 6:49 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Back in the day, I had a lot more water than I had time :o) If there were dirty dishes, it meant I got home from work and cooked a meal. Probably sat down to read the paper, did a few loads of laundry, got back in the car a time or two to run kids to activities, policed homework, etc. Might have worked overtime, too.

I tossed mine 20 years ago and never missed it.

Really-- C'mon Doug, talk about your false economy.

I've had a dishwasher and tossed my rack--- then lived without a dishwasher and had a rack-- then got a dishwasher and tossed it again. I can't imagine what you need it for. But if you like it- good for you.
Jim
On 02-01-2013 03:49, Pete C. wrote:

I doubt it. My dishwasher takes a little over 1200 cubic inches of water four to six times. (And takes how long?) And it heats the water for washing and the air for drying with a very large heating element.
My sink takes a little under 1200 in³ twice. (and finishes much faster) And the water is heated with gas.
On top of that, _some_ "dishwashers" are only for rinsing. You have to pre-soak and or scrub everything first.

I used dishwasher for several years and never needed a rack. The two or three no-dishwasher items were washed, shaken off, and set on a paper towel.
--
Wes Groleau

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 11:53:41 -0500, Wes Groleau

You've measured the water consumption (interesting units)? The heating element is used only to "top off" the water temperature and aid drying time. It's use is optional on most washers.

Your DW is connected to the cold water?

Utter nonsense. You just lost any (little) credibility you had.

Paper towel?! You environmental terrorist, you!
On 02-02-2013 13:46, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Measured the dimensions. Sink would be 1200 if the corners weren't rounded. DW would be 1200 if it were three inches deep, but I'm pretty sure it's deeper. Point is that it uses more water, not less.

Yes, but I prefer germ-killing temperatures (even though the soap probably is adequate).

Not sure.

If you have never had a "dishwasher" incapable of making dishes clean, good for you. If I had known what a useless thing it was going to be, I would not have allowed the builder to put it in. I have seen others like it, too. And there are enough of them around for advertisers to believe that making reference to them will "strike a chord"
The one I have now, however, actually does work.

Not only do I use five or six a year that way, I wipe up spills with them occasionally. Sue me/
--
Wes Groleau

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 16:34:54 -0500, Wes Groleau

You're wrong.

Yet you recommend washing by hand. Amazing.

The point being that the DW's water is heated to the same temperature by the same gas. That's a wash (so to speak).

Whether or not they work well enough for you, is irrelevant. You said that "_some_ dishwashers are only for rinsing" is unadulterated bullshit. Please show me where a manufacturer claims that their models "are only for rinsing". BTW, don't blame the washer. Blame your water and the soap you're using.

Wow! I'm amazed! (not really. They all do, some better than others, though)

You use a paper towel for two months? Why don't I believe that? We have a pad beside the sink, made for the purpose.
On 02-02-2013 16:52, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Come on over. Since you don't believe tape measures, I'll let you scoop water from the sink into the dishwasher.

I didn't recommend anything. I pointed out that someone's statement does not accurately describe my dishwasher or my sink.

I don't give two cents for what a manufacturer says. What the product does is what's important.

Your pretense of misunderstanding for the sake of argument destorys your credibility. Good-bye.
--
Wes Groleau

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 00:28:47 -0500, Wes Groleau

Your measurements may be correct but your conclusions are not. You don't rinse dishes after you wash them?

Bullshit.
Not only did you not write what you meant, you also didn't read what I wrote, but that's your norm, too.

I'm not a mind reader. I can only read what you write. I can't help it if you're illiterate.
On 02-03-2013 10:40, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I repeat: My sink takes a little under 1200 in³ twice.
Dishes go from soapy water to rinse water that is about 100°F Two 1200 in³ instead of one sink twice. Does that clarification make you happy?

Clearly discussing anything with you is impossible. Good-bye again.
--
Wes Groleau

There are some ideas so wrong that only a
On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 00:43:49 -0500, Wes Groleau

I repeat: You don't rinse your dishes?

I don't believe you, no.

You could leave any time.
On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 16:34:54 -0500, Wes Groleau

What I've learned over the years of using my dishwashers, is that if I don't rinse the dishes manually before putting them into the dishwasher, over time the food particles collect at the bottom and eventually foul up the water pump and result in a repair. I don't know if this is true of all brands or more recent dishwashers.
BTW, my wife did buy the Simplehuman stainless steel dish rack today which appears to be better made than the old one plastic/metal one we had. Of course the price was a lot greater than what we spent in the past for the other racks. I guess in time, we'll see which is better. On the box, it has a 5 year warrantee FWIW.

Good question. Answer = no.
Now I suspect some clear finish applied to the stainless steel. Box clearly states stainless steel, 5 yr warrantee and won't rust or discolor. Perhaps after 5 yrs, the clear finish comes off???
More important... 2 or 3 people recommended this brand so I decided to tell my wife and let her decide.

Hope so. I think the references here was the final straw in deciding what to buy. It wasn't cheap but I guess nothing good is cheap. My wife told me had she known there was stainless steel racks, she would have gotten one sooner.
On 02-02-2013 18:51, Doug wrote:

Not true of any dishwasher I ever had, not even the ones that required that asinine "pre-wash."
--
Wes Groleau

“If it wasn't for that blasted back-hoe,