Dish/Direct TV vs Cable

Page 1 of 3
I'd like to hear from various customers of all the different methods of receiving TV stations regarding cost and service satisfaction. I heard there is a current sale with Direct TV where you get service and install on 4 TV's for $50. I don't know if this is as good as it sounds or if the sale is still even on. Any replies are appreciated. Also does the best system depend on geographic area? I'm in Phila. PA area. Sherry
I had Dish Network, dropped them and went to cable to get local channels and internet. Seems they are broadcasting local channels now, so that objection has been over come. I like my internet service, other than that I would drop cable like a rock and go back to Dish! Cable here brags about no loss due to the weather compared to dish. Well every time a little thunder boomer rolls through cable is running weather advisories, fine, I think the feds require it, but for every little rain drop? On the other hand, dish would lose signal maybe once or twice a year during torrential rain. So I guess you could say I was very satisfied with Dish Network, kind of, almost, sort of satisfied with cable! Greg

Greg, I see what you mean. Positive and negative about both. I didn't realize you don't get the storm warnings with a dish. I get them with the news channels on cable. Don't remember if I get them with others. I don't think on TV Land but maybe I just don't notice, taking them for granted. :) We pay 139 a month for all cable stations but it's not digital, so if the dish is almost as good and a lot less cost, that's probably better for us. Thanks for replying. Sherry
We get "local channels" (i.e., the local outlets of the major networks) via DirecTV, and they broadcast the storm warnings. What we don't get are the truly local channels such as public access and broadcasts of city council and school board meetings.
We've lost our signal twice in the year we've had DirecTV, but only during torrential rain, not during normal rainfall. But the cable companies are receiving their signals from satellites too, so sometimes the signal they receive (and pass on to you) will deteriorate too; the only difference is that their dishes are bigger.
With any kind of satellite system, your signal quality will depend on how well your dish can "see" the satellite, so nearby trees and tall buildings need to be taken into consideration.
Check all the available services and packages and figure out which gives you the channels you want for the most affordable price.
Perce
On 12/09/04 11:17 pm PaNjDeFemale tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

antenna too. Our cable breaks in on whatever channel you are on and goes to the weather channel so they can tell you to run and hide because it is raining outside. If thet ran a banner at the bottem of the screen it would be ok, but they interupt what ever show you are watching and tune to the weather channel, you can not turn back to your movie, sports, what ever, they run the show. You might be watching a pay per view movie and they will interupt the show! It ticks me off! Greg
On 12/10/2004 2:16 PM US(ET), Greg O took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

local govt. The local govt. has a say in what, and how, cable will be distributed ( I want to say 'broadcast', but that's not the proper terminology with cable). Where I live, with Time-Warner cable, if there is a weather alert, they have the scrolling banner on the bottom of the screen, *except* on any premium channels.
I just switched from cable to Dish no way I would go back I have a PVR that takes care of 2 TVs. I have a TV in the bedroom and no box at all. It can record 100hr of TV and I can pause and rewind live TV since it has 2 tuners I can do PIP. Not quite as good as Tivo but I felt the package was better from DISH. I still have cable internet but have been toying with DSL but Comcast draws you in with the 3 MB download speed which works pretty well where I have probably 1/2-2/3rd of the homes in my neighborhood have cable access but the backbone is new so it does not bog down.
Between Dish and Direct you need to look at the packages they offer and what fits your viewing. Each has pluses and minuses. Dish now has Sirius radio also. I don't use it but you might.
Wayne

Do you have the DVR522? If so, do you find that the audio gets out of sync with the video when playing recordings? They keep saying they know about the problem, but they haven't fixed it yet.
Other than that, I love Dish Network and the DVR. And it's a lot cheaper than cable in my area.
--
Ray Heindl
(remove the Xs to reply to: snipped-for-privacy@yaxhoo.com)

FreespiritedFem wrote:

I've got Directv and am happy with it. I've been with them for about 10 years now and have only had a few episodes of signal fade due to extremely heavy rainfall. Frankly, Cablevision had more service outages.
You should be able to find installation of four receivers for free if you're a new customer. $50 would buy you TIVO for one of those receivers if you wanted that. But for just four ordinary receivers: free. Of course, you'll have to obligate yourself to a service contract for a year, but so what? You've got to get your content from somebody, right?
Seeing as how you live in a city, you'll be able to get your local stations on Directv. Not all markets do, but if Wilmington, NC can, I know Philadelphia will.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer, if you've read all my posts in this thread, you see I know basically nothing about anything but cable TV, but hearing such glowing things about Dish Network and Direct TV I think it's time my household became more educated, especially since we pay 139 monthly even without digital. We're curious as to how many movie channels, if any, come with a basic dish package. Also we need to keep our 5 TV sets operating with full package of movie channels, etc, which we are dependent on. HBO and Starz are favorites at my home. How many channels do you get? Thanks for your reply. Sherry
I subscribed to both cable TV and cable internet simultainiously. When Comcast took it over I switched to Direct TV, but kept my cable internet service, because cable kept on increasing it's subscription rates at least once a year and I got fed up with being screwed over.
Then, about a year and a half ago, I got notified by Comcast, my internet provider, that if I didn't subscribe to cable TV and the internet they would increase my internet subscription by almost $20.00/month. I emailed them telling them I wouldn't be strong-armed into buying their cable TV service and if they persisted I would go to DSL. I received a response pretty much telling me that it was the policy and they were not going to change, so I gladly switched.---cable still arrogantly treats consumers as if they are the only service in town. I'll never go back to cable.
Direct TV is great and I've never had any problems with it.

Ron, had no idea cable used such arrogant manipulations. I'm wondering if the dish programming shows problems caused by CABLE as cable does with the dish! Of course over the years we've seen cable ads showing dishes wiped out by inclement weather and it looked reasonable. With something sitting on a roof, porch, etc. it does seem vulnerable. Apparently if the dish had those problems, they've been overcome. The replies in this thread are evidence of this and we have no one else to ask about this. Husband said friends from New Jersey all love the dish over cable in every way but I can't go by what they say. We needed objective opinions and we're grateful to have them. Thanks for your reply. Sherry
Here on Long Island ,NY Cablevision has a special "triple play" promotion. You get digital cable TV, high speed internet, and Voice over IP unlimited phone service, each for $30 for the first year. After that, it goes up slightly for the second year, then it goes to full price for the third year, which right now would be about $63 for TV, $45 for internet, and $35 for the phone, which is $143 for the month, which is not bad IMO. I'm happy with the service.
Mikepier, you're doing great for having cable. We pay 139 monthly just for cable on 5 tv sets with 5 movie channels -- no digital. Local phone is about 60 monthly and ATT for long distance ends up about 16 monthly. I don't have the AOL figure as another household memeber handles that but it's in the 20's monthly. So we're waaaayyy above what you pay. Is everything else cheaper there? hehe! We have comcast here (formerly Suburban Cable). I assume also you're happy with the service. Thanks for your reply. Sherry
Direct TV would be ok if you didn't have to have a receiver for each tv.
Why can't they have one central tv converter and use a different remote for each tv set.
Tom

Tom, well we have a "jerrold box" for each our 5 TV sets. Don't know if that's the counterpart to the receiver you speak of. Dish still sounds better than cable from the replies so far. We'll check out offers. Thanks for your reply. Sherry
Digital cable is no different. Even some analog cable systems scramble every channel requiring a box for each set.