Disconnecting Generac Generator

generac parts are way overpriced and not well designed. i have one here i picked up cheap it has a small plastic control box..... priced over a 100 bucks many years ago..... when the 3rd one failed
i finally did a work around........
start generator let it run a minute, then push a 200 amp momentary contact switch just long enough till it begins generating.....

I'm going to get a chance to see if I can fix one. A neighbor had a 12KW Generac that was about 5 years old. It died during the hurricane last year. The main symptom was that it would start, run for about 30 secs, then shut off. The company that installed it told him the generator itself was shot and it was not worth fixing. He bought a new one.
It made it's way to another neighbor who is a friend of his and also a friend of mine. Believing the company diagnosis, that neighbor took it apart and seperated the generator from the motor. That's as far as he got and now he's going to give it to me because he decided he doesn't want to screw around with it anymore.
I looked at the inside of the generator and it looks brand new. No evidence of burning, no smell, etc. There is a smell however coming from the control area with the electronics. And reading the service manual, the way it works it starts up and uses battery for ignition for the first 30 secs or so. Then it switches over to using a generator winding that is there for that purpose. I'm betting that it's the electronics that does the switch-over or the rectifier, etc that is bad, not the generator itself. When I get my hands on it, we'll see. If so, I may have found a real treasure :)
I got a 5,000 watt Coleman that way, one time. Same symptoms. Starts up, then shuts down. Problem: Low oil.