Disconnecting Cast Iron tubing

Hi, I need to move my toilet for a bathroom renovation, and this requires moving the soil line from the toilet to the stack. Both the stack and run to the toilet are cast iron. The opening I've made in the floor boards will not accomodate a large pipe cracker, so I thought I'd try and simply disconnect the line from the toilet to the stack and replace it with ABS or PVC. The current joint is lead over oakum, I assume. Can I just melt the lead, chisel out the oakum and disconnect the pipes? And assuming this is possible, can I connect the plastic with the cast iron easily using a no-hub coupling? (the branch coming off of the stack is the bell-end, so it's wider than the

4-inch pipe. Is there an adapter I can get from a plumbing supplier? Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

It will take a lot of heat (torch) to melt that lead. If you can get a drill in there, use a long bit to "swiss-cheese" the lead. When you put enough holes in it, you'll be able to pry it out and then the Oakum.

Yes, there is an adapter to fit the bell; it's called a "donut". Clean the inside of the bell carefully to get rid of any scale. A little sealant on the clean surface will help prevent leaks.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

You will need to cut the cast iron.

You will either need to make a large enough hole for a chain cutter, or a sawsall. If you go with the Sawsall, you will need to purchase a carbide grit edge blade. They are very slow. You might want to buy two, return #2 if you don't use it. Did I tell you that they are very slow? Once cut, Fernco adapters will finish the job.

Reply to
Dan G