Disconnect electric toothbrush

I was away for a month. Came back to find my Sonicare dead; unable to be revived.

My housemate said he unplugged it because the Web site said to do so if not in use "for an extended period", and he was concerned about the NiCad battery.

Called Sonicare and they said to leave it plugged in. Which it had been for years -- even during other long absences.

This is costing me $ to buy a new one.

Yes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, but don't you think he should have asked for a definition of "extended period"?

This is partly a legit query; partly venting.

TIA

Hypatia

.
Reply to
Higgs Boson

The housemate messed with your equipment so he owes you a new one.

Reply to
LouB

Did you try running it with the brush head removed? Month-old toothpaste residue does a pretty good imitation of concrete. If it spins without the brushhead attached, run the old one through the dishwasher, or spring for a replacement head.

(I am assuming sonicare has replacable brush heads, like the absurdly expensive rotadent my dentist sold me does.)

Reply to
aemeijers

Not his fault, the battery is 3 years old and worn out.

Reply to
ransley

We have 2 Oral-b electric tooth brushes that have been powered up for roughly 7 years & both still hold a charge nicely. I'm surprised, and pleased, & hoping for 10 years. I did buy a backup from Amazon when the wife's began to slow down, but it magically healed itself, so we just shelved it. You might try Amazon for a replacement, I was seeing scary prices everywhere else, but they seemed to have fair prices.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Did you ever hear the story about the tooth brush, the camera and the Jamaican vacation?

DerbyDad03

Was it the Sonicare website? Did you verify that is what it says to do? Did you ask Sonicare on the phone why their website says exactly the opposite of what they told you?

But at the end of the day, rechargeable batteries only last so long. How old is the unit? If it's 3 years old, that's short. Mine is probably 6 years or more old and still working ok, thought the battery doesn't have the charge capacity it used to.

The real problem seems to me to be the discrepency between what their website is saying and what they told you on the call. The roomate tried to do what he thought was the right thing based on the info he got, assuming the info was from the Sonicare website. For $100 and the fact they don't last forever, I wouldn't be mad at the roomate.

Reply to
trader4

Yes, that's maddening. When someone else accidentally breaks your stuff.

Years ago, my dentist reccomended I get an electric tooth brush. I went out and looked. Hundred bucks! OUCH! Later I was in a grocery store, and they had battery power (two alkalline AA cells) electric brushes for about ten bucks. For $90 difference, I can buy a lot of AA cells.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If it doesn't get charged regularly, the shelved one will probably be dead when you try it.

Reply to
Bob F

I have taught my grandchildren "If it doesn't belong to you, leave it alone." If they don't, they then have to pay the consequences, which can mean replacement.

I would first contact the manufacturer, if possible, and see if there's anything that can be done short of complete replacement.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

We have 2 Oral-b electric tooth brushes that have been powered up for roughly 7 years & both still hold a charge nicely. I'm surprised, and pleased, & hoping for 10 years. I did buy a backup from Amazon when the wife's began to slow down, but it magically healed itself, so we just shelved it. You might try Amazon for a replacement, I was seeing scary prices everywhere else, but they seemed to have fair prices.

reply: I have a Braun that I spent some bucks on. It is nearing ten years old now, and not one problem with it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Do you really think that $10 toothbrush comes close to the cleaning power and capability of a real toothbrush that is ultrasonic, like the Phillips Sonicare? Compared to the costs of even simple dental work, like semi-annual cleaning, $100 isn't much at all for a real tooth brush.

Reply to
trader4

I feel bad. I just bought a Colgate hand powered brush for about three bucks. I didn't know how bad it was until just now. :)

Reply to
Thomas

Exactly, It is the best $100 you will ever spend.

Reply to
George

It has never been charged, so I think I'll be ok. It seems like either in full service, or never been in service, are the best states for nicads. That from personal experience, not anything I read.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

..by you. it was probably charged to some degree for qa testing.

Reply to
chaniarts

Worst case scenario I'm out $20 and the replacement is significantly higher. I can live with that. Retail even at Sam's Club is around $50 ea.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Google "reviving nicad batteries by freezing". I used the method for an expensive UV flashlight battery and it worked quite well. Some folks are skeptical but it wouldn't hurt to try.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Unplugging the charger for a month did not kill the battery.

Reply to
tnom

Yeah, wish someone would sell a tooth brush for $5,000. We could sell a lot of them based on this conversation.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon