Disconected grounding wire?

After reading the "Grounding a Plumbing Drain Pipe" thread it reminded me about something I found the other day while looking at my hot water tank.
Beside my Gas water heater I found a loose (not connected) bare copper wire.
Utility feed is PCV and changes to copper as soon as it enters the house. Both the hot and cold pipes in the house are copper. All drain pipes are PCV.
Can I assume this ground wire should be connected to the copper plumbing?
Does the hot water tank offer enough of a connection to ground the hot if I correct the cold grounding or should I get two clamps as there is enough slack to reach both pipes.
What is the best way to test the ground. The wire runs away from where I would have thought it should go so I want to make sure it does go to ground - if one end is disconnected what did the previous owners do on the other end? Would you test the voltage from a wall plug hot to the ground?
Thank you!
Sounds like there was work done which was not done correctly. So you can't count on that ground wire being connected at the other end. And no telling what it went to or if it ever went to anything!
Basically it is a good idea to have metal piping in the house grounded. Also if PVC main water line, then need to have ground rods for your main electrical service.
Best would be to call an electrician to be sure everything is up to snuff...
"Slightly Graying Wolf" wrote in message

message

RBM wrote:

I took another look and the wire goes off in the same direction as the incoming romex (furnace and bathroom wall outlet), so it probably goes back to the panel along side the other cables. The length of the cable is just right to reach the cold water pipe and the end of the copper wire appears to have once been fastened to a clamp. my guess is it was not reattached when the tank was last replaced.
I might test the wire for continuity at the grounding rods. If the test is positive I will re-attach it.
message

That makes perfect sense. Get a 1/2" to 1" water pipe ground clamp and hook that puppy back up

RBM wrote:

I confirmed continuity using my meter and an extension cord clamped to copper wire at the rod.
A clamp is now on my shopping list.
Thanks for the input.
message

It sounds as though that might be a bonding wire for your copper water pipes. If so there should be two clamps connecting it to the water pipes. One clamp on the hot water side and another on the cold inlet.
Do you any idea what size wire it is?
John Grabowski wrote:

I am not sure of the gauge, but it is the same size as the copper wire connected to the grounding rods (less the corrosion). As mentioned I have confirmed it connects to the service ground using a continuity tester at both the copper wire outside at the grounding rods and to the ground at an outlet close by in the garage.
Thank you!