discolored ceiling

Hi everyone

The formation of the studs in my bedroom ceiling (which is stucco)are outlined with a dark cast. I suspect it's probably mildew but I'm wondering what I can do to about it.

Thanks

Reply to
pandora

Hi everyone

The formation of the studs in my bedroom ceiling (which is stucco)are outlined with a dark cast. I suspect it's probably mildew but I'm wondering what I can do to about it.

Thanks

Reply to
pandora

Do you have oil heat? A lot of cases of burner puffbacks seem to cause this condition on ceiling walls as because the oil gets attracted to the warm spots, which in this case are the ceiling joists.

Reply to
Mikepier

We all tend to think about mold a lot more these days, but more likely just dust attracted there due to a little moisture due to the temperature difference at the joist. You may get really lucky and after it warms up on a dry day you may try dusting (or compressed air). However I suspect it is time for a newly painted ceiling.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

cold spots, you mean.

Reply to
Goedjn

If someone smokes in the house, the first culprit to look at is tobacco smoke collecting on cooler surfaces. Dust and cooking fumes also do the same.

Reply to
EXT

Yes i have oil heat. I'Ve repainted but it comes back after a few months. What are my options? Any suggestions/ Thanks

Reply to
pandora

What you are seeing after the repaint may be bleeding through. Try applying a stain suppressing primer then repaint.

Reply to
NickySantoro