Disappointed with Maytag quality

Page 2 of 3
Commodore Joe Redcloud© wrote:

Which organization?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Therein lies the problem. Are subscribers a statistical cross section of the population? Are subscribers biased?
Add pictures here
βœ–
You could ask the same thing about drug trials when drug companies test new drugs. Consumer Reports explains that their survey subjects are their subscribers. Once you know that it doesn't matter that they are not a perfect reflection of the population.

Add pictures here
βœ–

===================Lol.... Think about your statement.... Then pick up a book on statictics... Much too narrow a sample group...and usually a biased group at that...
Bob G
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bob G. wrote:

Don't need to pick up a book - I've taken statistical courses and have the diploma to prove it.
CU screens automatically when the number of respondents are below the required sample size. In this case they will put "Insufficient data" in the compa fields.
What do you mean when you say the sample group is biased? Are you implying that CU subscribers automatically prefer one brand of car, appliance, hotel, etc. over another, or that they are biased towards filling out surveys?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sorry for the delay in repling..I do not read this nes group very much...
What I mean is that in my opinion the fact that CR limits its survey to subscribers induicates that the population they are polling is NOT representative of the general population....
This is not to say that they are biased towards one brand of anything...BUT they (again in my opinion) tend to look at and evaluate items in a different way then most people would..
The little old lady down the street may evaluate a product completely different then the young kid up the street and if you limit the polled population to a group of people who just happen to subscribe to one magazine, or by age or sex, etc I think the results will be questionable.. If CR polled only subscribers of Popular Science or another magazine...would the results mean the same thing?...
Just my opinion...
Bob G.
Bob G.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Consumer Reports is bad science.
http://www.junkscience.com/consumer/consumer_about.htm
http://www.quackwatch.org/03HealthPromotion/cu.html
http://www.allpar.com/cr.html

Add pictures here
βœ–
Gazoo wrote:

Those aren't exactly unbiased reviewers.

βœ–
This is the best part of one of the critcal reviews:
" A study on American Honda owners found that most cleaned their garage floors on a regular basis...they appeared to be meticulous about maintenance. Could that affect reliability? (Courtesy Bob Meyer, who says the article is available under 8/27/97 at the Detroit News). "
....grasping at straws here...
Add pictures here
βœ–
The funny thing is that if CR produced subscribers with prejudice when filling out reliability surverys, how do the critics explain the fact that the PTCruiser from CHrysler is reported to be very reliable when most other Chyrsler cars are not. Same thing about Toyota.... Consumer Reports indicates most of their models are the most reliable cars on the road but a couple suck. Their critics can't explain that.

Add pictures here
βœ–

The problem with any survey that requires people to answer is the people themselves. In a month's time, we are given the opportunity to fill out a survey at the restaurant, the doctor's office, my wife just got one yesterday for the ambulance ride she took last week. When things go well, we tend to ignore them, but when we have a problem, we jump on the opportunity. Right there, you have a stastical abnormality.
Keep in mind, every brand I buy is good and reliable because my judgment is better than anyone else's, but all of you that choose other brands got the bad stuff. Given that statement, I'm not about to admit I bought a second rate product, right?
Every brand makes an occasional lemon and when they do, we hear about it loudly. Just look at the postings here that scream "my Brand X appliance is a piece of crap" and it is the same one that thousands of satisfied customers never mention. It happens.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Understandable.... BUT
When you've put out $700+ for the refrigerator, and its a piece of crap, and you can't get any satisfaction.....
They don't want to repair or replace "that piece of crap" because it would represent a loss for that sales transaction. ....and that might affect this quarters bottom line.
BTW Try to track down who makes a Magic Chef refrigerator..... ( they won't even admit to it )
<rj>
Add pictures here
βœ–
<RJ> wrote:

Sure they do.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c 8840&p=irol-SECText&TEXT=aHR0cDovL2NjYm4uMTBrd2l6YXJkLmNvbS94bWwvZmlsaW5nLnhtbD9yZXBvPXRlbmsmaXBhZ2U9MzI4NDAxOSZkb2M9MSZudW09Mw=
Home Appliances
The Home Appliances segment represented 94.4 percent of consolidated net sales in 2004.
The Home Appliances segment manufactures, sells and services laundry products, dishwashers, refrigerators, cooking appliances and floor care products. These products are sold primarily to major national retailers and independent retail dealers in North America and targeted international markets. These products are sold primarily under the Maytag, Amana, Hoover, Jenn-Air and Magic Chef brand names. Maytag also licenses certain home appliance brands in markets outside the United States. The Company has increased its emphasis on its in-home service business, which services major appliances manufactured by the Company and by other manufacturers. The segment also services floor care products manufactured by Maytag.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I agree that Maytag sucks but they actually took care of our Neptune problems and it is still going strong 8 years old.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:16:01 GMT, Ignoramus20878

While under warranty my washer blew a "circuit board" and would not spin, etc. They fixed it. The repairman later stated to me that the dryer door was mounted at the factory and could not be changed to swing the opposite direction (hinged on other side). Little did he know I had already changed the door. The mounts were there, they just needed to be moved to the other side.
βœ–
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:16:01 GMT, Ignoramus20878

I bought a Maytag top load washer about ten years ago (non neptune design). I did so after having a Whirlpool crap out completely (transmission) after four years. I was sold on the design difference in the transmissions. Back then all the other washer brands looked exactly the same when you turned them over. Maytag was clearly different and the stoutness of the design sold me. In that ten year period, I've had one problem. Guess what, that top door plunger/switch hangs up. I can live with/repair that to get a reasonable life out of a washer. It may be an indication that an engineer made a mistake on that component but it does not change the fact it is a better designed washer overall.
I also have a Neptune drier, four years old and it has been a dream.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I have a NEptune gas dryer. I like the big door but my parent's cheap electric Kenmore does a better job getting the wrinkles out of clothes.

βœ–
Ignoramus20878 wrote:

I have it on good authority that Maytag tested the little plastic thingy that activates the door-closed switch. They opened and closed the door over 100,000 times, measuring the wear and deformation of the thingy every 1,000 openings. They subjected the thingy to extremes in temperature, vibration, gases, sunlight, and the chemicals normally found in the washing environment (soap, bleach, etc.).
You evidently have a cat that gnaws on thingys. They did not.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I remember having a old whirlpool washer and the thingy broke but the thingy back then stopped the washer when you opened the lid and wasn't required to keep the washer going so no one cared back then if the thingy broke. I replaced it with a screw head.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Yeah, this really pisses me off, like the integrated plastic refrigerator shelf support that is so prone to failure that they introduce a repair kit and then charge stupid amout of money for it! As far as I am concerned this is really a design defect that they should fix for free.
We have good and bad experiences but unfortunately for Maytag it takes many more than 1 good to cancel a bad.
Our Neptune washer and drier have been awsome after the mold issue was fixed in the first 6 months. Unfortunately it took a chance discussion with a service tech to be informed about this upgrade. Maytag weren't exactly forthcoming. 6 year on and 5+ loads per week they are still going strong.
Now the side by side refrigerator. That's a heap of crap. Buckled liner, 8 weeks to replace under warranty. Water dispenser mysteriously turning itself on, new control board. Water dispenser mysteriously turning itself on again, yes another new control board. I bitched enough about this second failure that they reimbursed me for both control boards. Cheap plastic crisper drawer support breaking, $15+S&H for a stupid little piece of replacement plastic. Coolong failure in refrigerator, adaptive defrost control board replaced.
Dishwasher (6yrs) has been OK.
Add pictures here
βœ–